turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Short Minnesota Season

Started by Brinkcalls, April 28, 2024, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brinkcalls

My dad had been seeing this bird daily for the last few weeks. I grew up on this farm and to be honest we haven't had much for turkeys on it. So seeing them was a welcome sight!
 I had been busy working and just spending time with family, plus the weather has been just brutal. Windy, rainy, gloomy... just didn't put me in the mood to go for him...
That was until last night when I stopped over and he was gobbling his brains out like a deranged mad man... I drove to town and bought a bow license knowing full well where he was going to roost. Plus I am partial to bow hunting.
I got up really early, walked in to one of my food plots, set up a strutter and lay down hen and just waited. I knew he was going to be close. Wind was howling at 20+ most of the morning. Heavy sky's made it pretty dark. Didn't stop him from hammering on the limb on this oak flat. I made some pretty loud calls and he answered every one of them. Time came and went, he flew down, did his thing, gobbling a bunch. Then the gobbling stopped... I looked at the tree line and he was doing the death march right to the strutter. He came right in, torched the decoy, and stood right on top of it. I sent one center mass and he hobbled off and tipped over. It was a quick MN season, but was well worth it to get one on my farm. 22-23 lbs, 10.5" beard, 1 1/16 sharp spurs.
Thanks for looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

JeffC

Great job on taking him with your bow, on family property, Congratulations ! Hope you can establish a flock or two for the future.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Last Frontier Hunter

Thanks guys, it's a special place I hope to own here soon. I've put a bunch of work into it to make it better for hunting!

Brinkcalls

Thanks guys, it's a special place I hope to own here soon. I've put a bunch of work into it to make it better for hunting!

Paulmyr

Very nice. I'm still waiting to get after my MN turkey. Be taking my dad out next weekend than hunt Wis for 2 weekends. Probably get after MN birds the last 2 time periods.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Turkeybutt

Congratulations of a fine gobbler! Thank you for sharing the photo and story.

Tommy Strutsalot

My friend it appears that YOU may be the deranged madman lol ... just filling an archery tag as casually as you purchased it.  Ice running through the veins.  Awesome job.

Brinkcalls

Quote from: Tommy Strutsalot on April 28, 2024, 10:02:02 PMMy friend it appears that YOU may be the deranged madman lol ... just filling an archery tag as casually as you purchased it.  Ice running through the veins.  Awesome job.

My wife would agree with you. Yeah bow hunting turkeys is right there as my favorite. I don't use a blind, but I use decoys. Almost need to. Thank you!

turkey stew

Congrats on a mighty fine gobbler.

Badger