turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Heron or turkey?

Started by The Lung, April 26, 2024, 07:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lung

I say it's heron tracks. My buddy says turkey. Backing my case is the fact that we've seen a heron on this very pond, and yet we've never seen turkeys at this property.
seed

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

"Dear Lord, may our will be pure and our aim be true. Amen"

Treerooster

Heron. Size is always hard to tell on pics but the back toe is too long and overall track is too slender for lack of a better word. Turkey track is more square or blocky. The toes are also just a bit more widespread on a turkey. Second pic is harder to tell.

Upfold99

Heron

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Looks like mud to me. All kidding aside they do not look much like turkey tracks, here is a link to a bunch of pictures of Heron tracks, they have that long toe I guess in the back and a turkey has a kind of two piece or a separated short nub. https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/heron-tracks-mud.html?sortBy=relevant
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

GobbleNut

Heron, for sure.  As an aside to this, sandhill crane tracks can be a real problem sometimes, but they are much closer to looking like turkey tracks than heron tracks are. 

Old Gobbler

Looks like a heron...long skinny rearward toe print

There are places in Florida especially the edges of flooded roads that both herons and turkeys frequent

The herons will fool you ,they are lighter and have a narrower toe width towards the the base of the toes ...the lighter weight will not push into the sand/dirt as much as a heavy gobbler

Another thing to look out for on days old tracks ..is when you see what apparently is lots of gobbler tracks ...all the time ...but no hen tracks whatsoever , and zero strut marks from the wingtips

Gobblers love roads and fire breaks during springtime , they know it's a good place to see hens ...I can't tell you how many gobblers I have to my credit due to being able to spot something as simple as a single toe print ..then Start targeting the area

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon