OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbler yelps

Started by Bowguy, April 23, 2024, 07:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

I know we had some discussion a little bit back, and in the past about gobbler sounds.
I could t get a bird to gobble last night so I went into a spot often hold birds nearby.
Come first light distant birds were going nuts. Nothing near me. I did a fly down on a longbox than some easy yelps.
About 7:00 or so this morning I hear way off gobbler yelping. I try hen calling him. Nothing.
I decide to gobbler yelp. He answers. Few scratch box yelps to sound like like a few birds and that's commonly the only call I need but this bird responded better to the gobbler yelps.
3 longbeards finally appear at 50 yards. They see nothing and leave. I gobbler yelp back at em. They basically run in. 2 left. No call works  everytime and perhaps a gobble woulda worked too. They obviously primarily were interested in the male vocalizations but gobbling might have atttracted company from other hunters,  the deeper, slower yelps less often will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Congrats on your gobbler.. I believe in those gobbler / Jake yelps

mountainhunter1

That is awesome! Nice bird Mike.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Notsoyoungturk

I become more of a believer every year after getting that call.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

sixbird

I've used gobbler yelps a number of times when they wouldn't come in.
I usually do them on a mouth call.
Kluk two reed Smokin' Hen or Smoke Phase do some nice gobbler yelps.

Bowguy

Treerooster

Congrats on the nice tom.

Fun when some applied calling knowledge works...eh?

JeffC

Congrats on a nice Tom. What ever they want to hear, what ever I need to use it is awesome when it works! You add that NY accent, I use the Phila lingo. :toothy12:
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

eddie234

Congratulations

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bowguy

Quote from: JeffC on April 25, 2024, 03:48:22 PMCongrats on a nice Tom. What ever they want to hear, what ever I need to use it is awesome when it works! You add that NY accent, I use the Phila lingo. :toothy12:

Brother I ain't from NY and def don't have no NY accent lol. God forbid

JeffC

You live above the Trenton -- Toms River line, your a New Yorker, I grew up in South Jersey, Phila suburbs, we sound like we are from 2 different countries... :toothy12:
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

TrackeySauresRex

Congrats on a good one. :icon_thumright:

Opening day this year. 6 different birds gobbling hard on the roost. They hit the ground and silence.10 minutes pass, 2 gob clucks one slOoo yelp. 1 cluck 2 slo yelps. They all erupted. 2 Jake's broke off on a sprint into my set up. Big part of my arsenal. Hens led the Big boy away.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

BDeal

Quote from: Bowguy on April 23, 2024, 07:00:58 PMI know we had some discussion a little bit back, and in the past about gobbler sounds.
I could t get a bird to gobble last night so I went into a spot often hold birds nearby.
Come first light distant birds were going nuts. Nothing near me. I did a fly down on a longbox than some easy yelps.
About 7:00 or so this morning I hear way off gobbler yelping. I try hen calling him. Nothing.
I decide to gobbler yelp. He answers. Few scratch box yelps to sound like like a few birds and that's commonly the only call I need but this bird responded better to the gobbler yelps.
3 longbeards finally appear at 50 yards. They see nothing and leave. I gobbler yelp back at em. They basically run in. 2 left. No call works  everytime and perhaps a gobble woulda worked too. They obviously primarily were interested in the male vocalizations but gobbling might have atttracted company from other hunters,  the deeper, slower yelps less often will.

What kind of pot call do you prefer for making gobbler yelps? Slate, Glass, Crystal, etc.?

Bowguy

The one in pic. A gobbler pot. Made to make those sounds. You can make it on other pots but you need to run stick in center. The gobbler pot imo is a step up

Bowguy

Quote from: JeffC on April 25, 2024, 08:11:53 PMYou live above the Trenton -- Toms River line, your a New Yorker, I grew up in South Jersey, Phila suburbs, we sound like we are from 2 different countries... :toothy12:

Ain't nothing good below the bridge bud. I'm west. No where near NY. Bet you were closer to NY than me and I'd bet you talk more like one too.