turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bully Jake’s

Started by zelmo1, April 21, 2024, 12:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

I have a weird coincidence here. I have 2 spots miles apart that have a trio of bully jakes. I have both sets push gobblers away from the 3/4 hens they are trailing. The lone Tom just sits back and struts till they run him off. I have a feeling the Tom's will play, but probably silently . I saw one group twice today, at first light and 11:30. There was the lone Tom skulking around keeping out of their way. Just interesting to see the Tom so docile. He would try to get in the mix and they run him off. Oh well, good luck peeps. Z

Tail Feathers

Jakes can be a pain, but we would worry a lot about next spring if we didn't see any one year.
Just gotta work around 'em. 
As far as a tom that will be bullied, I would guess he isn't the boss bird in the area.  But look for him to come in silent one day, to avoid alerting those Jake's of his intentions.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

TrackeySauresRex

I've witnessed this a few times. Tough to deal with. I've had a bunch of Jake's bullying 2 Tom's on a few hunts a couple of years back. I couldn't get near them 2, always calling in the Jake's. Hopefully, Next spring will be a good one, you'll be surrounded by gobbling 2yo fools.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Greg Massey

I always enjoy seeing Jakes, that's hopefully next year's gobbling birds. Just stay after that gobbler and more than likely you will kill him up in the morning.

WV Flopper

Seen it a few times, two years ago on my local grounds were the worst. Called up 60 couple Jake's.

If it's only three, kill one of them. The Tom will be able to handle two with their loss of confidence

zelmo1

The tom is always around the jakes, I think he is trjailing them. If I decide to go after him, I will call the jakes in and sit tight when they leave. He will come in silent I think. Z