OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What would you do?

Started by zelmo1, April 20, 2024, 08:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranger

The only question is.... Do you want to kill the sheep or do you want to kill the wolf? 
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

captpete

For me I'm taking the first one that gives me a shot. With that said, if you are the only person that has access to the property and if you have the time, I could see spending a few hunts trying to kill the bully. If others have access to the property or the neighboring properties have people hunting them, I'm taking the first one that gives me a shot.

Mallard1897

If you've yet to punch a tag for the season take the first bird you get a chance at. If the boss ends up being the lucky one then you got the rest of the season to chase him.

While I've gotten plenty of enjoyment out of winning the battle against the boss bird, usually it requires resorting to unorthodox tactics and often calling in mostly silent birds or no calling at all. No shame in shooting that "easy" 2 year old who puts on a show. That's what we're there for.

Vendetta birds are great but there's a bittersweetness to it once they're gone. That's why I don't mind getting whooped most days. Means he'll be back in there cutting loose the next time I get a chance at him. A worthy opponent and yet familiar like a friend.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

aclawrence

If it's private land where you have a little control over the situation I would try to kill the big bird right at the end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

IMO you're not going to get a crack at the BOSS until ALL those hens start setting on nests and TOTALLY leave him OUT IN THE COLD or by chance drag him by your location.  He has his harem, and he won't leave them for your calling.  He may gobble at your calls but he's not going to leave them.  The only way you can kill him with hens is get in front of the hens and hope the hens bring him into shotgun range.  You may be able to get the satellite bird to break and come, IF he is in the mood.  IMO check back with these 2 from time to time but get on a bird that wants to play and hunt them.  A lot more fun hunting birds that want to play then a Hope and a Prayer.      :z-twocents:

zelmo1

Public land, and I am not a "2 year old snob", lol. I will try to double with the wife opening day. After that it will be the mood I am in. Hit list is a little strong. He is the one bird I want to "get a date with", but I will whack his offspring. Target or wish list is a better option. Z

zelmo1

Coach, you need to be more optimistic , lol. I have seen him run off the 2 year old more than once. I think his ego can give me an edge. I will try a breeding hen and Jake to see if he can resist. I want a little work, no fun if he sticks his head in the gun barrel. Z

Tnandy

A Rogers Parks Tom Slate ( if that's what it is called ??) might get the better of him. Challenge him about midday. Might come slipping in quiet but in all the same

Gobbler428

I'd let the boss finish his business with the ladies and then go after him full throttle.

TrackeySauresRex

Most times I will shoot if one comes in gobbling. Unless he's a Jake.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

bbcoach

Quote from: zelmo1 on April 20, 2024, 01:09:56 PMCoach, you need to be more optimistic , lol. I have seen him run off the 2 year old more than once. I think his ego can give me an edge. I will try a breeding hen and Jake to see if he can resist. I want a little work, no fun if he sticks his head in the gun barrel. Z
"No right or wrong answer here."  I'm a realist.  I said you may be able to pull the satellite bird but he has to be in the right mood.  The Boss will stick with those hens until those hens desert him, then you will have a chance.  I love the idea of the jake and laydown hen but don't be surprised if the hens see the setup and take him the other way for themselves.  Jealousy could be his downfall though.  Work hard but don't let it consume you.  Good Luck and keep us posted!   

Tail Feathers

I'd go for the boss first.  At least that's my plan for Monday's opener.  I saw a huge tom on a pipeline.  I also saw three smaller longboards at another spot.  They would probably be easier, but this big boy with the two hens in tow is weighing on my mind.  Gotta try him first.  If I can't get him the first few days, I'll move on to other opportunities.  One bird limit here tho.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

GobbleNut

Simply put, for me, it is all about "the hunt" and not "the gobbler". Whichever gobbler wants to carry on a conversation with me and then comes strutting and gobbling to have a face-to-face meeting is the one I am going to shoot. Having said that, I have hunted gobblers longs enough to know that the most likely of the two to do that is going to be the two-year-old.

Carrying this concept a bit further, in this "neck of the woods" on the public land I hunt, the likelihood of an old boss gobbler meeting my standards of the hunt type outlined above is near zero. They just don't die around here by coming to a call gobbling, strutting, and putting on "the show"...which is the ONLY reason I hunt spring gobblers to begin with.  That's not to say that I have never had an older bird do that, it is just such a rare occurrence that I am shocked when I walk up to a gobbler I have shot and find the type of spurs that indicate it was a gobbler older than two or three. 

The only exception I have found to this generality is hunting on restricted properties with minimal hunting pressure where gobblers can grow old without being subjected to hunting and calling tactics over and over again that eventually make them realize that sometimes the turkey calling they hear in the distance is not coming from another real turkey. From my experience, once they have reached that point, it is very unlikely they are going to play the game in the manner that I personally pursue them for.

In summary, I am quite content to let those older "boss gobblers" stay in the woods to perpetuate their species...   

Gooserbat

If its a mature gobbler and I get him in range, it goes bang.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

NOmad

I have never aged or scored a gobbler before I shot and I don't intend on starting now. If he gets my heart pumping and knees shaking on his way in, he is taking a ride home with me (if I can manage to not screw it up LOL).