turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Slow morning in NM

Started by JMalin, April 18, 2024, 11:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMalin

Didn't hear a single roost gobble this morning. Kept pushing further in and got a bird to answer me a couple of times, but didn't seem interested in working. Haven't heard a bird gobble on his own. Here through Sunday, but it feels like it's going to be a grind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capecodmike

how's the hen action ??

Are they moving around coming into your spread if you're using dekes?

If no hen's maybe time to relocate.

Dtrkyman

Keep moving around, roost gobbling for me is not a big deal out here, you will run into an eager bird sooner or later!

Greg Massey

I agree don't necessarily rely on the roost gobbling, if you know you have gobblers in the area setup in some good spots and try calling and hopefully you will bring the gobbler to you.

JMalin

Tale of two mornings. Hunt recap later this evening.

JMalin

Was sitting 80-100 yards from a roosted Tom (pair actually, one was doing 95% of the gobbling). The one I could see clearly on the limb. He flew down downhill and worked his way towards a loud mouthed hen while the other Tom stayed on the limb for another 15 mins.  He flew down the same place that the first bird did.  Super open/logged area, so decide to let the birds work off a ways before I moved towards the loud mouthed hen.  She drops down into canyon.  I stay high and patient, and eventually from where she first started calling, a Tom start gobbling pretty consistently (different bird from the original 2 I believe).  Get setup within 200 yards and he's answering the call and staying put, so I stop answering him, and eventually he breaks after about 15 mins.  Gobbling gets closer and I know at that point he's on the logging road and it's only a matter of time.  Struts and gobbles for my hen decoy, and I put it on him before he makes it to the deke about 25 yards.  Had a great hide with sun to my back on a ponderosa pine that had blown over.

On the walk back to the car, the first call I make is answered a single time.  I try to get higher ground off the logging road and have a tree picked out before making another call (unsure of the direction I even heard the gobble).  Make a few more unanswered calls, wait 10 mins, and decide to continue my walk out.  Make it another 250 yards up the logging road, come over a slight rise, and see a Turkey facing straight away in full strut 30 yards up the road.  Drop down to my knees, get the gun up, and wait for the bird to turn.  As the bird turns and comes out of strut, a shot is fired just as he likely sees me.  I'm glad it was flat and downhill walk back to where I had parked.  One bird went in the vest, the other was turkey toted with sling over my shoulder. 

Up Hill

Just got back from the Gila. Opening day was decent but gobbling went down from there

Turkeybutt