OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

OMG What Has Turkey hunting come to!

Started by eggshell, April 16, 2024, 01:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Sanders153 on April 16, 2024, 02:28:01 PM
I'd heard of drones being used for hunting, that's the epitome of laziness and taking technology use too far I think. It would have been tempting to dust that drone like a clay pigeon if I saw one out hunting
All I could think of was Magnum P.I. when Higgin's was flying his RC war plane replicas.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Brillo

This was a terrible experience but may become a wonderful opportunity if the landowners care about their investment.  I would work this one hard. 

Rt0426

Keep hunting there and get you a bird!  Let the landowner know about whats going on, and offer up some help.  A lot better to offer up a problem and solution, rather than just the problem

eggshell

My buddy knew he was on camera and shooting the drone would have just led to a confrontation. He wasn't in the mood for it and decided just to leave. There is a deep disdain among the locals for the game wardens in that area, so I doubt they want him involved, but posting it and running the clowns off might be doable. This is deep rural Appalachia, moonshine country, there's a different code involved. Most of the people we have come to know are super friendly, but not beyond stretching the law a bit. Most of them want no part of the idiots either, I think with a little encouraging we can get this self policed. As an outsider, we have spent 4 years building trust in the area, so we're going to tread lightly. I don't want to come back to a burnt out truck. The landowner that we regularly hunt on doesn't put up with any clowns, and he's related to the other landowner. He's the one we will go through. I imagine once he knows they are trashing the property he'll get involved.

mikejd

Old Timer

Quote from: eggshell on April 17, 2024, 06:37:02 AM
My buddy knew he was on camera and shooting the drone would have just led to a confrontation. He wasn't in the mood for it and decided just to leave. There is a deep disdain among the locals for the game wardens in that area, so I doubt they want him involved, but posting it and running the clowns off might be doable. This is deep rural Appalachia, moonshine country, there's a different code involved. Most of the people we have come to know are super friendly, but not beyond stretching the law a bit. Most of them want no part of the idiots either, I think with a little encouraging we can get this self policed. As an outsider, we have spent 4 years building trust in the area, so we're going to tread lightly. I don't want to come back to a burnt out truck. The landowner that we regularly hunt on doesn't put up with any clowns, and he's related to the other landowner. He's the one we will go through. I imagine once he knows they are trashing the property he'll get involved.
Tread lightly. Smart move. The drone deal would most likely escalate problems and invite confrontation as you mentioned.
Stay smart. I pray it works out for you. Good day.

Sanders153

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 17, 2024, 01:24:32 AM
I'd heard of drones being used for hunting, that's the epitome of laziness and taking technology use too far I think. It would have been tempting to dust that drone like a clay pigeon if I saw one out hunting
All I could think of was Magnum P.I. when Higgin's was flying his RC war plane replicas.

Lol, the old Magnum P.I. was a pretty good show.. Not a fan of the new one though

Zobo

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

TrackeySauresRex

Turkey stalking reapers and drones, OhhMy.   There's a lot of em out there! We are slowly becoming the minority. I know I'd pay extra for a drone tag.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Sanders153 on April 17, 2024, 11:39:00 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 17, 2024, 01:24:32 AM

Lol, the old Magnum P.I. was a pretty good show.. Not a fan of the new one though
I have not had TV since sports started to disrespect the flag/military/anthem/country so I will have to take your word for it. I only kept TV for sports and now that that is gone I have a couple hundred extra a month or two grand a year to spend on whatever.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

quavers59

Wonder how many guys here on oldgobbler  would have Shot that Invader Drone Down??!

Tail Feathers

Quote from: quavers59 on April 17, 2024, 10:26:17 PM
  Wonder how many guys here on oldgobbler  would have Shot that Invader Drone Down??!
I would have to think before wasting a TSS shell on it.  But if I had time to load up a heavy 6 pheasant load that I carry for snakes...BOOM!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

captpete

I'm pretty sure shooting a drone is illegal. I think they are classified as an aircraft. I would think the local DNR would be very interested in knowing about it. Also from what you described, I think your buddy could file hunter harassments charges against the drone operator.

turkey stew

Drones have been illegal in Michigan since 2015 for hunting or fishing. Fine plus possible 90 days in jail. States need to pass no drone laws and forget on infringing a person's right to do whatever!

capecodmike

Took a look at KY's hunting regs.  In late 2022 they tabled regulations regarding drones for further study.

Hopefully it will be addressed in the near future along with the other issues that appear to be present.

Good luck.