OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

OMG What Has Turkey hunting come to!

Started by eggshell, April 16, 2024, 01:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

I just have to vent. My buddy has hunted Ky the last 4 days and today went to a new area we found. That turned out to be a zoo. One of the landowners we hunt on got us permission on this new property. We thought, "Oh boy new ground". I think it's in an estate and so no one is watching it. When he pulls in there's a guy getting ready to go and my buddy talks to him and he does not have permission, but is going anyway, as everyone hunts here. That's a bad start, but they decide the property is  big enough to split and go opposite ways. My buddy sets up on a bird and it's working and then put put and silence. He hears 4-5 more and trys to work a couple, but no luck. They just shut up on him.  Suddenly he hears a buzzing and looks up to see a drone hovering over him. Now he is po'd and decides to leave. He runs into two kids combo mushroom hunting and carrying guns in case they see a turkey. When he gets back to the truck there's a guy setting by his car running the drone to spot turkeys to stalk. Then the other guy comes out and joins the conversation and he said he almost got three, but they all spooked from the fan. He was basically trying to reap them by just displaying a fan and walking at them full up right. He said one had an 11 inch beard and weighed 33 lbs, but it spooked. NOw that guys is good. The guy with the drone chimed in yeah he'd seen a couple 30 pounders on the drone camera. You got to be frigging kidding me! Needless to say my buddy baled and called me and said no way are we going back to that zoo. What in the living "H" get into people's heads. This is an good example of why I dislike the youtubers showing reaping and other "new" ways of hunting. Go ahead someone and call me an elitist and I'll gladly wear the tag if this is what we've come to. As I said Oh MY Gosh....

Tom007

All I can say is WOW! That's too bad, a good spot like that and it was infiltrated with idiots. Well at least nobody got hurt, not going there again is probably the right thing to do......
"Solo hunter"

Tail Feathers

Pretty sure the drone guy would be illegal in any state.  At least I hope so.

That place sounds like a zoo that has no keeper.  Yikes!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Prospector

The funny thing is, we are ALL elitist bc we all think the way we do it is right. The difference is, I KNOW I'm right. lol. Sorry it was a screwed up hunt. Maybe you can get exclusive access and boot the trespassers off?
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Sanders153

I'd heard of drones being used for hunting, that's the epitome of laziness and taking technology use too far I think. It would have been tempting to dust that drone like a clay pigeon if I saw one out hunting

Ihuntoldschool

Sounds about right. 
It's always been a slippery slope .

Once they quit turkey hunting by the rules it opened the door for everything you mentioned. 

lalongbeard75

I don't consider it elitism. There are certain rules to the game. You don't shoot ducks on the water you don't shoot fawns or deer at night etc. There are rules to the Turkey hunting game. Anyone that says otherwise is not a true Turkey hunter but a wannabe. If you can't call him to the gun and too the gun means 40 yards are less you ain't much of a Turkey hunter to begin with. If you need some toy helicopter to find a gobbler, or use anything else to short cut finding a gobbler you a 2 bit hack. If that offends it's supposed to.

zelmo1

Im not a "rat", but stuff like this needs to be addressed. It sounds like it will be this way until someone puts an end to that circus. They will destroy that spot and the subsequent spots they" hunt ". Cage the clowns now, SMH. Z

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

paboxcall

Maybe those drone guys were "adapting."
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Cowboy

3 ring circus no doubt. Filled with clowns...

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

JeffC

are Drones in season, asking for a friend??
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Greg Massey

Sorry all of this happened, some people these days have no respect for property and others. As we know a lot of people could care less about the right way to hunt regardless of the game... 

I don't blame y'all for not going back to the clown / zoo show ...

But you are right this is what it has come to in some areas ...

Happy

Quote from: paboxcall on April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM
Maybe those drone guys were "adapting."
I like it!

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Swamp_870

I mean...I know why he didnt shoot the drone but in hindsight...he should've shot the drone