turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Unkillable bird

Started by g8rvet, April 15, 2024, 04:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Really, I believe there is no such thing, but I am done with this bird.  He roosts fairly near to same area, gobbles his head off.  May bend to calling, but rarely does and does not come in.  I have tried quiet with soft stuff and leaf scratching (which got him the closest, he would just not come back from where he knew the hens were headed - we watched them fly down) and called more aggressively which brought a hen in, but not him.   If I could hunt the property to the north, I believe I could kill him tomorrow, but I can't.  He struts in the same area and we watch the hens go to him.  I could kill him by just being quiet and getting lucky with him flying down to me, or I could deer hunt him and kill him on his way to roost.  He has flown over my bro and SIL's head off the roost in killable range.  I think he just gets a pass from us this year as we look elsewhere.  I'm just gonna tip my hat to him and move on for one that wants to play the game.  See ya next year Mr Longbeard.  Maybe they won't have corn running all year to our north.   >:(  If we kill one there next year we will tell ourselves it was him, just to feel better. ;)
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

appalachianassassin

Try him once a week until he is ready

SwampRooster17

I killed a gobbler last weekend that's been giving me fits. Sounds like a similar situation I was in. Like mentioned above don't give up and try him through out the season till it's his day to die! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randy6471

As long as you have other gobblers to hunt...then I would hunt them, but I would still keep coming back to that one every few days. (Especially if you have more than 1 tag) Sounds like you're somewhat limited on set ups, but switch set ups, time of day, calling and calls.
  I've hunted several like him over the years and it can be frustrating, but I like the challenge. Plus, you can sometimes learn more from hunting one like him for a few days than some overzealous 2 year old that comes running to your call....while gobbling his head off. You just gotta be ok with eating a tag.

Turkeybutt

I believe every bird is killable. He's got to be lucky every day where you only have to be lucky once.  Don't hunt him every day and look for another approach. Right time, right place Keep us posted.

RutnNStrutn

Don't give up!!! Maybe go elsewhere but go back and try him every few days.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Bottomland OG

Quote from: Turkeybutt on April 15, 2024, 06:30:11 PM
I believe every bird is killable. He's got to be lucky every day where you only have to be lucky once.  Don't hunt him every day and look for another approach. Right time, right place Keep us posted.
Yep.

Greg Massey

Don't give up, still check back with him as the season goes along... He might just change his mind and come running.

Spurs Up

I totally understand. You can waste the better part of a season on one like that. In my humble experience if I can't kill him in 3 days, I probably won't any time soon.

Tom007

Just think how rewarding it would be to get him? I would donate the rest of my season as long as he's still gobbling......
"Solo hunter"

WV Flopper

Anything that is alive will die at some point.

Your personal question is: At what extent do I want to go to expedite the death of this Turkey?

g8rvet

Good question Flopper.   Not enough to quit work!  Not enough to cheat (kill as he flies over or as he lands by random chance).  I know I could kill this bird if I could hunt that property. I know his routine well now.  He is on our piece for 15-20 minutes in the morning (unless he flies all the way to the other piece) and then when he comes in for the evening.  I doubt I will have a chance again this season, but my SIL is gonna try him in the morning.  Special opp hunt next weekend (our last).

I need to find a Georgia lease.  I am only 30 minutes max from the line.  Would like a couple more weeks. 

Good luck to those just getting started.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

zelmo1

Good luck g8rvet, I know this feeling. I would save a tag and try him after all his hens are bred. " Lonely Larry's " are easier than ones with dates already, lol. I hope one of you gets him, Z

Marc

Yes, I also believe that every bird is killable...  Just maybe not the way I want to kill him. :P

For me the excitement and fun of turkey hunting is to have a hand in calling them in...  Whether that means directly calling him into a call by immitating a hen, or a jake or tom...  Or upsetting a hen to lead a tom into range...  My satisfaction comes from the conversation resulting in a harvest...

That is not to say there is not skill in stalking a bird, or ambushing a bird....  But the vast majority of pleasure for me is tricking them to a call in one way or another.

But sometimes you can get lucky, and draw in a hen that he follows...  Or draw in a jake that he "needs" to chase off....  But, I honestly feel that without nature intervening on my behalf, there are some birds that I simply cannot call in (at least on that day).

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Swamp_870

I'm sure you know this, but if he's gobbling that much try to get in his bubble to the point where there's a good chance you might spook him...they see and hear stuff on the ground all night long but I'm convinced that they think the noise is just another deer, possum, etc. At this point there's no harm in spooking him.

If that doesn't work some might suggest removing the battery from said feeder and coming back in a few days. I don't condone trespassing, but baiting turkeys is also illegal.