Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Opening weekend….

Started by callaway71, April 14, 2024, 11:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callaway71

I have two goals this turkey season: putting my son on a bird and killing my first turkey on my own land. We bought this property last year and quickly went to work prepping a couple food plots. Fast forward to Saturday morning, I arrived early, eager to arrow a bird. I opted to start with the bow, bad decision.

Not knowing exactly where they may be roosted, I set up on the edge of a food plot. Heard quite a few gobbling so I felt confident. The closest ones flew down on a hardwood ridge about 200 yds away. Of course, they had hens but I hoped the clover would draw them in. What I didn't realize was how much the food plot had grown recently. A hen finally came out but she didn't seem comfortable out there. The clover/wheat mix covered half her body. Now I'm thinking will a tom want to strut around in this. Apparently not because two hammered on it behind the plot about 60 yds. Another hen came out but stayed on the far side edge. The two gobblers stayed in the oaks with another hen and eventually eased off. First close encounter in the bag.

Now thinking the food plot is a bad idea I eased around to where some birds gobbled at first light. Not long, two birds came looking for my calling. After an hour and forty five minutes of them hanging up and strutting around at 45 yds by the neighbor's fence, yes really that long, these two finally eased off. Talk about a numb butt. I was hurting from being so still that long. I knew where they were heading so plan B it was. Close encounter number 2 in the bag.

I head straight for the truck to take a break and grab the gun. Yes, backup plan enacted. I went around to the back of the property where I thought those two were heading. It's an oak ridge that falls off hard. I didn't know exactly where they were so I opted to call before I set up near the break over. Good and bad idea. Bad that they gobbled right there and bad that I wasn't close enough when they topped the break and eased back off after they could see the hen. Good however, that I didn't walk farther and spook them. They live to play again another day. Close encounters number 3 in the bag. At this time it's around 3:30, I'm tired, happy and sad and ready to call it a day. 

My first turkey hunt on my own land was awesome! I didn't kill a bird but had plenty of action. Bees and butterflies were out everywhere in the clover. Even saw a hummingbird flirting with a crimson seed head. Found three sheds. Also, no shots from the neighbors. :)

This morning came early after falling asleep around 8. My son was tagging along and my hope was for our first double. However, with the morning temp at 63 and wind picking up I didn't have confidence we would hear much. And we didn't. We heard one fairly close right on the line but I knew he would fly down in the neighbor's field. About 15-20 mins after light, BOOM, the neighbor shot as expected. We sat for a little bit, heard some way off, had a hen walk by but no tom. We decided to move and as we approached another hardwood section my camera sent a pic. A gobbler had been above us and apparently spooked through the plot. Our luck was not improving. We sat for a bit more at the new spot and BOOM, neighbors shoot again. Guess that's two for them. At this point we decided to head home since we needed to be back by 10.

On the way home, my son asked if we could hunt this evening. I pondered where we would go and decided to try my buddy's place. We get set up around 3:30 in a bottom out of the wind. Not long a hen comes out and feeds by. Little while later a lone gobbler comes out. He decides to head our way and at 20 yds, BOOM, my son drops him! He said he was shaking pretty bad. Lol The bird had about a 9.5" beard and 1" spurs. It was an awesome ending to a pretty great weekend. Highs and lows are part of hunting and I wouldn't change it for anything. Now let's hope I reach that high soon. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cannonball

Congrats to you both! You're up next... :gobble:

xarcher

Always great to see a young'n get it done. Good for you.

That clover plot looks great.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

JeffC

Congrats to your son! Keep after them, at least you have birds around. Good luck and thanks for sharing great story and pictures. Mow 20 yd path around food plot. Raise deck to highest setting.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

callaway71

Quote from: JeffC on April 15, 2024, 08:02:28 AM
Congrats to your son! Keep after them, at least you have birds around. Good luck and thanks for sharing great story and pictures. Mow 20 yd path around food plot. Raise deck to highest setting.

Thanks. My plan was to kill off the plot in late May to plant my summer plot in June. Now I'm mowing at least part of it this afternoon. As the neighbors fields keep growing taller they should venture back in mine once cut.

3seasons

FullChoke

This sounds like a great place to call your own. A big congratulations to your son on your first great bird and what a thrill it must have been to help him get it done.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

zelmo1

Very cool for you and your son bro. I think mowing is a good idea too. Rip em up. Z