Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Eggshell's sporadic hunt log

Started by eggshell, April 14, 2024, 06:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

I doubt I keep this up to date, but I try and add something every few days. Maybe I'll do better then I think.

Let's start this off with my first hunt (for myself) of the year, the Kentucky opener. Kentucky used to be a virtual Eden for me with many trips being  a blessing. That seems to have turned into a exercise of frustration. I have not killed a spring bird in Kentucky in at least 3 years and only have one miss to my scorecard. Birds have become more scarce but I have still been around gobblers.

April 13, 2024  We arrive at the perfect time and walk out a ridge to a listening point and wait....silence. We hear an occasional gobble far off. I decide to drive down the road to another farm, more of the same. I go to a spot that always has a gobbler and make a few calls. A boss hen fires up and we begin cussing each other out. I am sure this will elicit a gobble, but nope. Finally she comes to me and she's alone. At 7:30 my buddy text me and has heard nothing. I pick him up and we head to a new farm we just acquired. As we pull into the field we see a guy at a truck and pull up. This is deflating to find another turkey hunter and we assume that we won't be hunting this property now. As we talk to him we find out he is local but does not have permission. He mainly is just using the parking spot to access his buddy's property, next door. Of course he still hunts this farm, but he's a neighbor, so we assume it's ok. Out of the blue he offers to show us around the property if he can tag along and maybe learn something from us. We agree and he even text his buddy and gets us permission in that farm, another100 acres or so. He turns out to be very nice and friendly. We hunt all morning with him and learn the property. IN the end we set up on two birds and neither would come, just answer off and on. We did walk up on one other in a field, but it appears to be a good farm to hunt. The down side is it appears the locals treat it just like public ground and several people hunt it. Our new friend says most of those are just weekenders and not serious, only him and his brother are serious. Disappointing but there's around 400 acres of prime turkey ground so its worth hunting. I am not hunting Sunday and might go down after sunup MOnday as I have an early morning appointment. Tuesday is out. So Ky will be an off and on thing until next week. My buddy is going down with his son Sunday. Oh well, it was still fun

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

JeffC

Glad you're were able to get out there and at least hear birds. Keep after them you will get them. Have a safe and successful hunt.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

crow

Well it's a start and you had contact and a new place, things are looking up.  :fud:

eggshell

I might add I think this is my 39th year hunting Kentucky, they locked us out for covid in 2020 or it would be 40. I hunted it when you would hear one or two old mountain birds in a few day season. If someone killed a bird they were a celebrity. By the 2000s all those same areas were saturated with birds and it was turkey nirvana, but like many other areas the birds have declined and now are just staying at a lower carrying capacity. This is some rugged country and I don't get after them as aggressively as the past, but I still love hunting it as a bonus. If I never bag another I have already brought more than my share back to Ohio. Every trip is a blessing and new memory in a stage of life I am realizing my days of doing this are becoming a much lower number. I know many of us on here are seeing our turkey hunting sun approach the horizon of our turkey hunting careers. Soon our hunts will be more reminiscing then actual experience, but hopefully that's still a few years away. If not I give thanks to a gracious God for the many blessings this sport has brought me. 

randy6471

Good luck! Hope you have a safe and successful hunt!

eggshell

This was an interesting day. Woke up at 2:00 and took the boss to the airport ( 3 hr round trip) to fly out to our daughters who is having surgery tomorrow. Got home at 6:00 AM and my buddy was waiting on me to drive the 1.5 hrs to our hunting spot in Ky. Arrived there just about an hour after gobble time. Saw a couple hens in fields. Heard one very distant gobble. We worked our way around the ridge and came back to a spot that had an active bird yesterday. I hit one series of clucks and up tempo yelps and Gobbblllleeee he came back on the call and was only about 75 -80 yards away. Hastily set up and wondered if we'd been busted. After about three minutes I purred and instantly heard walking and drumming. Then I saw his head and him picking his way in. He stopped behind some briars at about 60 and I adjusted my gun. He turned slightly towards me and came walking in When he stopped to look for the cutey he heard, at 35 yards, I lowered the boom and put his beak in the dirt. Soon as I lifted him I knew he was heavy. You can see the stats on our kill thread. One more tag left in Ky. Maybe Wednesday Thursday I will get back down there.  If not I'll meet another Goat in Ky next week.

JeffC

1st off, prayers and best wishes to your daughter. Congrats on the Tom ES!! Things change fast!!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

crow

Congrats on a nice gobbler, good job
Thats a full morning right there

Happy

Nicely done, sir. Figured you were up for a good hunt.

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

eggshell

April 18, 2024
Well felt brave and went back today and talked to the landowner we always hunt on and I think things are going to change. Anyway there was only one hunter on the property and he had permission. We stayed on our old ground and we had birds working all morning but hens were all over us and them. Every time we got a bird going a hen would lead him away. We saw gobblers and nearly sealed the deal a couple times, but no clear close shots. The funny part was I stopped on the farm road and heard a bird down the road and decided to drive closer to get a location. As I rounded the bend to the gate we see this big gobbler strutting right in the road. He doesn't budge, but keeps right on his way down  the road following a hen. Mind you this is 40 yards at most from the truck. He is so lucky it was not one of the local idiots or he would have been dead. Instead we let him get around the bend then circle and set up. Yelp Yelp cluck cluck, purrr the boss hen cusses us out and we watch her lead old Tom down over the hill. We played this same cat and mouse game for 4.5 hrs solid with three different gobblers. We'll give them a few days and go back. This is mostly behind locked gates, so shouldn't be any idiots.

Zobo

Congratulations, nice bird! Sounds like game rich property, good you spoke with the landowner.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

GobbleNut

Good stuff, Dana.  Congratulations on your success.  Hope to see more...   :icon_thumright:

eggshell

Opener here was a dud of a day, I never even set up on a bird. Sunday I didn't hunt, but Sunday evening two gobblers roosted just above my house by about 400 yards. So today I was set up at daylight. Sure enough right on schedule they gobble. A little soft tree talk and they were making quite a ruckus. They fly down and end up about 150 yards above and to my right. That works as I have a good view 50 yards and in. Then silence and I think, "Oh boy". The next gobble is 200 yards and every subsequent gobble is further up the hill. Finally silence ensues and I assume they have hens. I have heard 4 other birds and none gobbled more then 3 times. MY buddy text he has one down at his farm. I text back to meet me in town and we'll head to my cousin's farm. Two hours of hitting all the hot spots and not one gobble. So I head home and with an hour left decide to give the birds across the road a yank. After hitting a couple spots I get an answer and I look and I have 45 minutes to seal the deal. I set up and he is answering every call. Then silence, yup this is becoming a theme. I think maybe he's sneaking in and hold my ground then I see something that doesn't look right and yup it's an side by side ATV with mushroom hunters aboard. Of course they drove right into the gobbler. I can't say anything because it's the neighbor's property and they let all the locals mushroom hunt. So I waddle home tired and humbled.

eggshell

Well my turkey hunting turned into a circus Thursday. I worked on birds for 2 hrs and couldn't get them to finish. I finally baled on them after they started going quiet. Came home and heard a bird gobble off the in-laws. Headed that way and got an immediate response at the ridge top. The next gobble was closer and I frantically looked for a set up but I just couldn't find a good choice with a hard coming gobbler. I settled for a bulldoze pile with a side view of the road he was on. Finally I was set and the gobbler would appear at 30 yards. A gobble bellowed from just around that corner and I shouldered the gun and turned off the safety, he was mine. Suddenly a gobble explodes right beside me and gobbler spit hit me in the face (I know not a real thing, but gets the point across). I panic, how did he get from the bend to just on the opposite side of my dozer pile 10-20 feet away. What do I do if he comes around that pile I would be better off clubbing him then trying to shoot him. Since he's in a farm field I get the brilliant idea to slowly raise up just enough to make him move away and try and get a shot as he leaves. Yeah, of course that was a lame idea as I raised up to see not one set of gobbler eyeballs but two and one was literally in spitting distance. Of course they ran and I tried my exit shot only to blow up part of the dirt pile. Then I turn in time to see the original bird is where I expected him all along (crap there was three different birds). So I pull down on the now dumbfounded original gobbler and bead on his neck I squeeze the trigger and nothing happens. I don't know if my gun short cycled a shell or I instinctively had reset my safety, anyway he didn't wait around. However, this jerk flys up in a tree and sits there looking pretty...aaarrrrrggggg! No I did not try to shoot him out of the tree. It was probably 75 yards and I'd never get close enough even if I wanted to, which I didn't. So I just stood there and admired him and told him he was free to go. He sat there about 2-3 minutes and pitched down and walked off. I saluted and sulked my way home, embarrassed and mad at myself. This is what happens when you get old, fat and senile. 

Friday I only heard a few gobbles and then they went silent. Saturday I went fishing....