turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Heavier weight vs Lighter older guns

Started by Super Fox, April 07, 2024, 10:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super Fox

As we age, heavier shotguns tend to be less attractive. Most of my doubles and the Model 12s
have barrels of at least 30 in. The companion issue is reaction time with a heavier gun. A Heavy Duck 32 in M-12 3 in
weighs at least 8 pounds, and longer barrels risk hanging up on vines and creeper limbs.  Then also a Heavy Duck M-12 was designed for ducks and geese primarily. Compared to another M-12 with 28 in bbls
and Briley chokes, it becomes noticeable.
Since you never know where or when a turkey will show up-it becomes more important in reaction time. Balancing that out is a really good
patterning shotgun, regardless of weight and barrel length.

Doubles like Smith, Fox and Parkers remain as issued. Some in 20 GA handle like rapiers, while others like an HE Fox at almost 9
pounds feel like a cross between bridge timbers and a 4.2  mortar tube. But most are a real joy in the woods, once accustomed to the advantages of balance
with two barrels and two different shells loaded in the barrels.

crow

It's hard to find old tightly choked 12bore sxs's close to 7lbs., especially American  guns. Some English are and some German 12s are just under 7lbs.     I looked for several years before finding the combination of choke, stock and barrel dimensions for my kind of turkey hunting.       Greener is 7lb 2oz., Fox is 7lb 4oz. Both xfull  30inch. barrels

Super Fox

You are right, Crow.

I have a 28 in barreled WW Greener st stock 12 GA, but the chokes are open for upland birds. It is about 7 pounds 2 oz.

The LC Smiths get hunted a lot because the 3 in chambers balance out against 8 pound weight. The Super Fox at 9 pounds 1 oz
belongs in a goose pit or duck blind. The BE and XE Fox guns are about 7/4 and 7/6. The 1916 BE has been re-stocked with 32 in F/C barrels.
Weight is a definite factor in handing and balance.

crow

8-9lbs are pleasant to shoot but too heavy for what Im willing to pack around in the woods for the style of turkey hunting I enjoy.

Balance is definitely a factor in how the gun feels and carries, the old Belgium hammer gun is 32" heavy barreled and not he best balanced gun, makes it feel heavier than it is.

There are English 12 bore under 7lbs, but usually not tightly choked and 2.5" chambered, with a 1 1/8th oz payload.

From my what I have seen when working with loads for tighter center core patterns in sxs's whether old  or modern, the heavier the shot charge is over what the gun was regulated for the more the POI is off compared to POA. Usually right barrel POI is more to the right, left barrel shoots more to the left. HVWT shot and TSS magnify this even more so than lead pellets.

Super Fox

This last is valuable intel from your experience. My cousin, a retired Navy Master Chief, is irritated with one of his decisions
with a modern gun in 3.5 inch. He changed his sight  to one of the red dot versions-then switched from a Federal shell to a Long Beard
w/o checking. Sight /POI/A off -pattern shifted to the right and missed a bird but luckily did'nt cripple it.

I have been fortunate with the earlier bismuth HeviShot 3 -in #4s: two nice gobblers the last few years using them  in both a LC Smith Long Range
and a Heavy Duck Model 12.

The more recent Tungsten HeviShot in 3 in #4s has a velocity of 1450 fps with 1 1/4 oz shot. Even with a reduced shot load, that velocity
is asking for stock trouble in the older doubles. Either a M-12 or newer re-stocked older doubles-these older guns need a bit of careful feeding
to remain alive and well.