OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey gun modification suggestions

Started by Borden811, April 03, 2024, 05:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

I'm picking up a 20ga 870 youth model, 21" barrel and shorter length of pull. I'm going to turn it into a full time turkey gun. I have a shurshot stock and foreend set for it, that I'm going to have dipped in greenleaf. I need suggestions on what color to cerakote the metal to match it. Does anyone have any pics of greenleaf furniture and cerakote metal in different colors? Also, the gun isn't drilled and tapped. I don't want a meadow creek on this particular gun, so am either going to have it drilled and tapped for a Sumtoy mount, or a flat spot milled on the receiver and then drilled and tapped for a Burris fast fire, swampfox king slayer, etc. suggestions on which way to go with that?

ShortMagFan

Flat dark earth on the cerakote. And definitely mill the receiver directly for the fastfire

I'd be tempted to leave the short lop stock on it

Ridge Rooster

Built several 870 ND 11-87 youth guns exactly like you mentioned.  At the time, milling was not an option so I had Sumtoy drill/tap for one of his bases.  I ran Tru-Glo Mag Gobble dots one year prior to having Sumtoy do his work and with the raised comb of the Shur-Shot stock it was uncomfortable to line up sights.  With the Sumtoy   it was perfect.  Something to consider if milling.  I also like Mag-Pul OD Green Cerakote with Greenleaf.  I may have a picture on my phone of color combo but unsure how to post on here.  If you PM me I will see if I do and send you one.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Gmed

Had my 870 done in midnight burnt bronze. It's a darker bronze color. I have a Stevens 301 that my guy matched the cerakote to the darker brown in the camo. It looks good.

runngun

The one thing that I did when I got my 870 20 gauge, Changed the stock and foreskin to a Magpul, with the thumhole. I really like where Magpull put the stock sling stud, it's not on the bottom. It's underneath about middle ways. I really like this set up. I would go with Burnt Bronze for the Cerakote. I also changed every single spring in receiver. All upgrades to Volquartson extractor an spring, All trigger springs changed to M Carbo. Hammer spring = Wolf springs, Firing pin =Wolf extra power spring. Mag spring-Wolf.
One reason I did my turkey gun this way with internals is because my work shotgun was built the same way.
The gun probably didn't need any of this, BUT I feel better now that I know how it's put together. And yes you can make a Remington Model 870 20 gauge "WAY BETTER".  I have confidence in it now.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

mdmitchell

Quote from: runngun on April 05, 2024, 11:20:41 PM
The one thing that I did when I got my 870 20 gauge, Changed the stock and foreskin to a Magpul, with the thumhole. I really like where Magpull put the stock sling stud, it's not on the bottom. It's underneath about middle ways. I really like this set up. I would go with Burnt Bronze for the Cerakote. I also changed every single spring in receiver. All upgrades to Volquartson extractor an spring, All trigger springs changed to M Carbo. Hammer spring = Wolf springs, Firing pin =Wolf extra power spring. Mag spring-Wolf.
One reason I did my turkey gun this way with internals is because my work shotgun was built the same way.
The gun probably didn't need any of this, BUT I feel better now that I know how it's put together. And yes you can make a Remington Model 870 20 gauge "WAY BETTER".  I have confidence in it now.

I didn't know Magpul was in the foreskin business

Borden811

Quote from: mdmitchell on April 06, 2024, 09:33:19 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna leave the foreskin just the way it is. Might take his advice on the spring replacements though ????

runngun

Ugh Oh!!! Sorry about the "typo " .  Being a Firearms instructor comes with Old, bad habits. On the range one of my buddies called the forearm that and it stuck! LOL

runngun

Quote from: Borden811 on April 06, 2024, 11:35:55 PM
Quote from: mdmitchell on April 06, 2024, 09:33:19 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna leave the foreskin just the way it is. Might take his advice on the spring replacements though ????
There's a company in Mississippi that sells Remington 870's that have been customized. The name is "Pure Poison".  A buddy of mine has one and it's a super heavy duty shotgun. So I took some of their ideas on the changes. Like I said, I have never broken an extractor on an 870. Factory part is cast, the Volquartson is not. You can see and feel the difference. Also upgrades to firing pin. For me it is all about having confidence in what you are using.