OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Georgia bird down!

Started by 357MAGNOLE, April 02, 2024, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Been a long year since my last successful turkey hunt.

I had the day off, and had to get kids to school so didn't even plan on hunting this morning. Buddy went and hunted about a hour away and text me at 0730 that he had birds gobbling. So I tossed all my stuff in the truck and hauled but out to a lease I have.  This is the first time I stepped foot on this lease this season as I have been busy hunting a Florida WMA (unsuccessfully might I add).  I decided to go in and look for some sign, found a few tracks about 500 yards from the truck.  It was a 3 way split in the road with a creek that runs through the split. I set up a decoy and got setup, hit the Marlin Watkins box call with a cluck cluck yelp yelp yelp cluck and BOOOOOOM  :gobble:  :drool:

Homie was fired up, keep in mind this was at about 0915 this morning so not a typical off the roost situation. He kept hammering and hammering, about 400 yards away and didn't seem to be coming any closer. I figured I had a good idea where he was which would require me to go down the creek and logging trail about 200 yards.  I knew that there was a corner up there on the trail that was about 75 yards long to the west (I was coming from the south)  I went up the trail hitting a cluck every 20-30 steps and doing light scratching noises. Got about 5 yards short of that corner and sat down in some young pine saplings.  I could see about 20 yards past the corner from where I was sitting.  Once I got set up I hit the call with another yelp yelp yelp and I heard him respond one more time. After that he went dead silent.  So I knew he was either A) on his way in B) headed the other way.  I sat there patiently, gun up for the next 10-15 minutes (felt like a hour) then within 30 yards I heard him gobble again! Within seconds I could see him and patiently waited for him to round the corner. Once he stepped out it was game over.  15 yard shot, he hit the ground like a sack of taters, time of death 0950.

He ain't the biggest, but after 8 days of driving back and forth and over 1K miles on my truck he is well worth it all! I am guessing he is a 2 year old.  Had about a 8-9" beard and 3/4" spurs.  Interesting color of wings on these birds out here, a sandy blonde color.   I have a sneaking suspicion this guy was one of the Jakes I let walk last year from the same area.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

cwb04

Congratulations!  Hope you have continued success!

joey46

3bailey3

Old Timer

Sometimes it all works out. Nice bird,congrats!

Turkeybutt

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Badger

ddturkeyhunter

Congrats, thanks for the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vintage

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr