Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Scouting session 3/30 Southern Indiana

Started by Hoosier2, March 31, 2024, 10:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoosier2

Well my cousin and I went to our property Saturday morning here in southern Indiana. We got down there just before 7 am and the birds feeling their Oates. We stopped at the front of the property where I typically hunt and it was pretty quiet. We could hear birds gobbling in the middle of the property so we decided to walk in. We got about 100 yards from the center of the property we deemed the "teepee". Back when we acquired this property in the 70's there was a very primitive style teepee built on a ridge top.

As were walking the fire lane to this spot (we've killed a mess of birds at this location) we could tell birds were roosted there. Not crazy for them to roost there but it's not super common for them to actually roost there as it acts as a strut zone. Think of a 40 yd diameter hardwood top that is open with native short grass in the middle of hardwood ridges. So we get about 100 yards from the opening and I tell him we can't go any farther so we setup right off the lane and just sit down and wake up with god. These birds flew down at around 7:15 and were gobbling non stop. It was a great day in the turkey woods. Birds gobbled until around 10 am. They aren't quite there yet but boy are they close. Season in Indiana doesn't open until April 20th for youth and 24th for reg season. Gonna be a long 3 weeks to wait these boys out. Anyways enjoy some footage I got of this long beard. There were 2 of them strolling together. We heard hens all morning as well and ran into a few flocks of them through the day. Can't wait to try this .410 out on a longbeard.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/200380400@N02/shares/yC0vWSmr18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Sounds like you gonna be in 'em !!!    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

a_jabbo

Awesome video footage of that gobbler. Hopefully he does the same thing when you have a gun in your hands.