Why measure

Started by Moore, March 30, 2024, 02:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zobo

Quote from: Marc on March 31, 2024, 12:54:50 PM
Quote from: GobbleNut on March 30, 2024, 04:33:13 PM
Quote from: Moore on March 30, 2024, 02:13:53 PM
Quote from: Upfold99 on March 30, 2024, 02:11:16 PM
I think that was a game amongst friends on THP several years ago.  The long bird challenge. They had shirts depicting this for sale. As far as I know, it means nothing.  People are most likely copying their actions. As Seen On Social Media!
That makes sense.

Definitely what happened.  I think the whole THP thing started with a little group of friends that decided to film their hunts and all the silliness that goes with that (the "longbird" thing),...and put it on YouTube.  I doubt they ever thought that they would end up with the viewership and following that they have...nor all of the repercussions in the world of turkey hunting that have transpired because of it.

Yes The Hunting Public (THP) started it as a joke of scoring birds.

I actually think that THP puts out some of the best quality turkey hunting videos made.  They have also unwittingly created an unsustainable amount of increased hunting pressure on public areas and states they hunt.

They make this style of hunting look far easier and more accessible than it actually is.  The idea was to show that the challenges of hunting on public ground and how successful it can be...  Now everyone that watches wants to give it a try, and enough do, that the increase in hunting pressure in some areas has ruined many hunting areas (apparently).

Do they have the right to continue making videos and the business that goes with that?  Should they ethically stop making these videos?  I do not have the answers to this...

I met those guys, everyone complains about, in Nashville. My takeaway: they're really young guys having fun and trying to make money. The chicks were hanging out in the booth, I didn't want to leave.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Zobo on April 01, 2024, 05:49:21 PM
Quote from: Marc on March 31, 2024, 12:54:50 PM
Quote from: GobbleNut on March 30, 2024, 04:33:13 PM
Quote from: Moore on March 30, 2024, 02:13:53 PM
Quote from: Upfold99 on March 30, 2024, 02:11:16 PM
I think that was a game amongst friends on THP several years ago.  The long bird challenge. They had shirts depicting this for sale. As far as I know, it means nothing.  People are most likely copying their actions. As Seen On Social Media!
That makes sense.

Definitely what happened.  I think the whole THP thing started with a little group of friends that decided to film their hunts and all the silliness that goes with that (the "longbird" thing),...and put it on YouTube.  I doubt they ever thought that they would end up with the viewership and following that they have...nor all of the repercussions in the world of turkey hunting that have transpired because of it.

Yes The Hunting Public (THP) started it as a joke of scoring birds.

I actually think that THP puts out some of the best quality turkey hunting videos made.  They have also unwittingly created an unsustainable amount of increased hunting pressure on public areas and states they hunt.

They make this style of hunting look far easier and more accessible than it actually is.  The idea was to show that the challenges of hunting on public ground and how successful it can be...  Now everyone that watches wants to give it a try, and enough do, that the increase in hunting pressure in some areas has ruined many hunting areas (apparently).

Do they have the right to continue making videos and the business that goes with that?  Should they ethically stop making these videos?  I do not have the answers to this...

I met those guys, everyone complains about, in Nashville. My takeaway: they're really young guys having fun and trying to make money. The chicks were hanging out in the booth, I didn't want to leave.
I personally don't understand the hatred that most folks seem to have for these guys. Do I think they have impacted public land hunting and have caused an influx of hunters?. Yes. Do I think Knight and Hale, Primos, Mossy Oak, H.S. Strut, M.A.D., and Realtree did the same from the 90's until streaming became a thing. Yes. I see no difference except I don't have to pay to watch them. They put out very knowledgeable content and seem to truly care about the birds by teaming up with researchers, etc.

They're my age, or within a couple years, give or take, and I'd love to be doing what they're doing. They seem like a great group of guys, and while, I don't typically hunt with others, I'd love to share a camp with them.

It's not their fault, it's monkey see, monkey do in todays world it seems. That's personally why I feel I'm seeing a massive influx of OOS hunters on the public areas I've hunted for years. These guys showed how accessible public hunting is, and then Dave filed in with making chasing the super slam cool and there you have it. Given the position to do what I do for a living or chase turkeys for 3-4 months and make a living that way, it's not hard to see what myself or anyone else on here would choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PharmHunter

That me be one of the dumbest things I've seen, and that's saying something.