OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why measure

Started by Moore, March 30, 2024, 02:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

Seen some youtuber's and other facebook posts about measuring the snood too, LOL

MK M GOBL

Number17

I also measure the tail fan of from tip to tip across the bottom feathers.
Most gobbler are in the 28-29" range. Heavier birds and generally longer spurs and full black beards (no amber tips) get into the 30-31" range. The widest tail I've ever measured was 32"
I have no idea if there is any meaning behind it, but a 31-32" fan looks massive compared to a 28" fan.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Number17

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 31, 2024, 10:26:17 AM
Seen some youtuber's and other facebook posts about measuring the snood too, LOL

MK M GOBL

Hens will choose a mate base on snood length, the longer the snood the better the chance a gobbler has to mate.
Other gobblers also have been shown in studies to shy away from gobblers with long snoods.
It pays to be snoody after all, so maybe there is some merit to it.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

1iagobblergetter

Never heard of that before...I think ill just keep measuring the beard&spurs like most and thats if i remember ????....
Seems like everything has to get commercialized or technical...
Simplicity seems to be the best way when hunting anything for me..
I hate all the naming deer& this or that..Foolish names like thunder chicken,etc...No wonder i like hunting with myself or just my son and leave it like that!

Dtrkyman

I like spurs, I measure one's that are longer then average, weigh one or two a year that feel heavy.

I always like the guys who claim they have been seeing a giant tom, I have shot a few giant ones over the years, had no idea until I picked them up!

Turkeyman

The only thing I've ever measured is beard, spurs and weight...and not necessarily all of those. As far as total length beak to tail who cares?

Marc

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 30, 2024, 04:33:13 PM
Quote from: Moore on March 30, 2024, 02:13:53 PM
Quote from: Upfold99 on March 30, 2024, 02:11:16 PM
I think that was a game amongst friends on THP several years ago.  The long bird challenge. They had shirts depicting this for sale. As far as I know, it means nothing.  People are most likely copying their actions. As Seen On Social Media!
That makes sense.

Definitely what happened.  I think the whole THP thing started with a little group of friends that decided to film their hunts and all the silliness that goes with that (the "longbird" thing),...and put it on YouTube.  I doubt they ever thought that they would end up with the viewership and following that they have...nor all of the repercussions in the world of turkey hunting that have transpired because of it.

Yes The Hunting Public (THP) started it as a joke of scoring birds.

I actually think that THP puts out some of the best quality turkey hunting videos made.  They have also unwittingly created an unsustainable amount of increased hunting pressure on public areas and states they hunt.

They make this style of hunting look far easier and more accessible than it actually is.  The idea was to show that the challenges of hunting on public ground and how successful it can be...  Now everyone that watches wants to give it a try, and enough do, that the increase in hunting pressure in some areas has ruined many hunting areas (apparently).

Do they have the right to continue making videos and the business that goes with that?  Should they ethically stop making these videos?  I do not have the answers to this...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Moore

After reading your guys comments, it makes that it was made as a joke  when I measure a bird it is for myself.and that's about it. I be honest I had to get a measurements of when I was able to get a merriam, and will with do it with my first rio and Osceola. I think for me I  like to know how much a bird weighs more than anything. I'm thankful for every bird I am able to harvest.  This post was not attend to bash on the tph.
[

Ihuntoldschool

The only scoring/measuring system that has any merit is Nunnery's method .

FullChoke

I've got no idea why anyone measures the length of a turkey. Just like I don't why it is so important to announce the length of a new baby.  ::)

Fullchoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

kytrkyhntr

The hunting public did that to make fun of the spur and beard measuring guys. To show that it's irrelevant how big those spurs and beards are in reality.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

eggshell

I think some of this measuring came from State agencies that required in person checking of turkeys. Most recorded weight and if it was an adult or juvenile (by beard length and tail feathers). This was an indicator of flock health and reproduction. Then the NWTF made it a thing

ScottTaulbee

I think that was a game amongst friends on THP several years ago.  The long bird challenge. They had shirts depicting this for sale. As far as I know, it means nothing.  People are most likely copying their actions. As Seen On Social Media!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
That makes sense.

Definitely what happened.  I think the whole THP thing started with a little group of friends that decided to film their hunts and all the silliness that goes with that (the "longbird" thing),...and put it on YouTube.  I doubt they ever thought that they would end up with the viewership and following that they have...nor all of the repercussions in the world of turkey hunting that have transpired because of it.
The THP was started intentionally, the group of friends all started working as interns for Bill Winke of Midwest Whitetail. They got tired of the seriousness and trophy measuring that the mainstream outdoor world had been since the early 2000's. The THP was founded as a jab at mainstream outdoor television, to show that with woodsmanship and some try, that anyone could have great hunting right out side their door, you didn't need expensive equipment, or sponsorship to kill big deer and have good turkey hunting. It's was very commendable. The name, The Hunting Public was to signify that they're hunting public land and they are the hunting public, like 99% of us without million dollar farms.
But, that doesn't pay the bills and the irony is, now they have sponsors and a cult following and hunting public land is the IN thing to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sungrazer

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on April 01, 2024, 09:17:13 AM

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
That makes sense.

The THP was started intentionally, the group of friends all started working as interns for Bill Winke of Midwest Whitetail. They got tired of the seriousness and trophy measuring that the mainstream outdoor world had been since the early 2000's. The THP was founded as a jab at mainstream outdoor television, to show that with woodsmanship and some try, that anyone could have great hunting right out side their door, you didn't need expensive equipment, or sponsorship to kill big deer and have good turkey hunting. It's was very commendable. The name, The Hunting Public was to signify that they're hunting public land and they are the hunting public, like 99% of us without million dollar farms.
But, that doesn't pay the bills and the irony is, now they have sponsors and a cult following and hunting public land is the IN thing to do

Thank You Sir. Was just going to post almost identical message.
I would add I recall them saying that spur and beard length is not always an accurate indicator of age. And I also took it as a poke at the "what'd he measure?"Crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildTigerTrout

Longbird?  Now that's funny right there!  LOL!  I had to laugh when I read that!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!