OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why measure

Started by Moore, March 30, 2024, 02:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moore

I'm sitting here watching YouTube chomping at the bit to get back in the woods and chase longbeards. I'm seeing a lot of hunters measuring their birds from beak to tail. When did that become a thing? Ever since I started to turkey hunt I measure the spurs, beard,and then get the weight
[

runngun

I think there's some logic behind it?  Maybe Kyle Ott will chime in he's extremely knowledgeable!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Spring Creek Calls

The only ones I've seen doing this the THP crew. They call em longbirds.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Moore

I saw that THP did it but I have seen some others doing it too. Not sure if they started to pick it from them, most likely they did.
[

Upfold99

I think that was a game amongst friends on THP several years ago.  The long bird challenge. They had shirts depicting this for sale. As far as I know, it means nothing.  People are most likely copying their actions. As Seen On Social Media!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Moore

Quote from: Upfold99 on March 30, 2024, 02:11:16 PM
I think that was a game amongst friends on THP several years ago.  The long bird challenge. They had shirts depicting this for sale. As far as I know, it means nothing.  People are most likely copying their actions. As Seen On Social Media!

That makes sense.
[

GobbleNut

Quote from: Moore on March 30, 2024, 02:13:53 PM
Quote from: Upfold99 on March 30, 2024, 02:11:16 PM

That makes sense.

Definitely what happened.  I think the whole THP thing started with a little group of friends that decided to film their hunts and all the silliness that goes with that (the "longbird" thing),...and put it on YouTube.  I doubt they ever thought that they would end up with the viewership and following that they have...nor all of the repercussions in the world of turkey hunting that have transpired because of it. 

Yoder409

Longbird ??

Really ??

::)    :goofball:     :help:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Dtrkyman

I think it was meant as a joke poking fun at scoring turkeys.

I hope so anyway.

No more ridiculous than adding up a bunch of stats to come up with a "trophy" score.

BBR12

My take on it was to get away from the "trophy" hunting side of things. Instead of bragging about the normal measurements they were proud to have killed a mature gobbler.  At least that was my take on it and I did respect that if that's what it was. However I  can't watch much thp just don't care for it.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 30, 2024, 10:59:34 PM
I hope so anyway.
No more ridiculous than adding up a bunch of stats to come up with a "trophy" score.
Quote from: BBR12 on March 31, 2024, 08:31:31 AM
My take on it was to get away from the "trophy" hunting side of things. Instead of bragging about the normal measurements they were proud to have killed a mature gobbler.  At least that was my take on it and I did respect that if that's what it was. However I  can't watch much thp just don't care for it.

Thinking more about it, this may well be the case.  I agree, as well, that the concept of scoring turkeys (and especially by the three parameters used) is flawed and unnecessary.  However, I do like the concept of recognizing unique animals on THEIR merit, not the hunter that is fortunate enough to bag one of them. 

We humans are just competitive by nature.  Millions of us go nuts over professional and college sports and are willing to pay genetically-gifted athletes millions of dollars so we can vicariously compete with each other from the sidelines.  Unfortunately, hunting, in all its forms, is no different for way too many folks. 

RED NECK

I hope so anyway.
"No more ridiculous than adding up a bunch of stats to come up with a "trophy" score."

No kidding......from the same guys that only shoot 4 yr olds....smirk....and 1 1/4" spurs they can see from 200 yards away, those get a pass.....

Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

TauntoHawk

I hope so anyway.

It was Zach's answer to everyone always asking about beards and spurs. Ment as a let's be too serious about this, in inch more of beard or an extra 1/4in of spur means nothing to the quality of the hunt had with friends.

But since 50% of the viewers have killed 3 animals they get a lot of people copying absolutely everything they do regardless of if it was ment in gest.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

King Cobra

Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

Bottomland OG

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 31, 2024, 09:17:36 AM
I hope so anyway.
Quote from: BBR12 on March 31, 2024, 08:31:31 AM

Thinking more about it, this may well be the case.  I agree, as well, that the concept of scoring turkeys (and especially by the three parameters used) is flawed and unnecessary.  However, I do like the concept of recognizing unique animals on THEIR merit, not the hunter that is fortunate enough to bag one of them. 

We humans are just competitive by nature.  Millions of us go nuts over professional and college sports and are willing to pay genetically-gifted athletes millions of dollars so we can vicariously compete with each other from the sidelines.  Unfortunately, hunting, in all its forms, is no different for way too many folks.
I agree also. I have measured spurs and beards but not everyone I kill. I do try to get a weight on most. That strictly for my information. I don't show and tell nor brag, that's something that I have never done.
As far as scoring a turkey, well I have never done that. I have killed different ones over the years that I know were big birds but a score never meant anything to me on a turkey. Wouldn't know how without asking someone or reading up on it. If that gives an individual some sort of satisfaction doing it by all means get after it. Thats a personal choice and we all have one. We don't always understand each other's way of thinking. It's just not for me.