OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Successful shell loads-Vintage shotguns

Started by Super Fox, March 30, 2024, 12:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super Fox

To help our members and readers, it would be nice to open a small thread
on the  FACTORY shells that have worked well for you, in your particular shotgun.
I will start out with a shotshell that has worked for me:

It is the earlier  3-inch Hevi-Shot Tungsten #4 shot: It has worked in both a Model 12 3-in Heavy Duck gun
and a 1925 LC Smith Long Range 3-in double gun. Actual hunting experience proves them very effective.
With older double guns, it is sometimes 100-yr old stock wood that is possibly the most vulnerable to
Non-toxic non-leaded higher velocity shot shells.

_____________________Tenth Legion___________________________

Spring Creek Calls

For my Model 12 the Winchester XX 2-34" #4 were lights out at reasonable range. It didn't like 6's or 5's. In my 12 gauge 1300 it was primarily 3" Hevi #7's or Federal 3" 7-1/2 lead. My 20 gauge 1300 was always Federal Heavyweight 7's.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

crow

I hunt with Fed. Top Gun #7.5s 2.75" 1 1/8th oz. 1145 fps in the right (close) barrel in an old Greener and the old Fox, both Guns choked are xfull. This load is good to just about 35yds for head/neck patterns

I shoot handloads in the left barrel, #5 or #4s depending where I'm at. reduced powder charge with a little heavier shot charge helps with a denser center core.

100 year old wood cracking or splitting is a concern from heavy recoiling loads, I don't think its going to matter much if it's from a lead or heavier than lead load though.

Super Fox

This Hevi-Tungsten load with # 4 shot is a serious turkey load and has slain two big gobblers here in the deep South.
BUT-there is a serious drawback with the older vintage double guns. The velocity is 1450 fps. That will work for the
Heavy Duck Model 12s and perhaps my re-stocked HE Fox. But Not in the Smith Long Range guns.

The LC Smith side plates could get their stock wood adjacent started to crack. That velocity is more than I want to chance
and it probably should be left to the newer 1950s Model 12s. That is a fast moving payload @ 1 1/4 oz of #4 shot.

-----------------Old Doubles -----Old Gobblers-------Tenth Legion-----------------

Yoder409

In the Model 21's I could probably shoot whatever I wanted to.  They are just SO strong.   But What I've used in the 16 gauge is just a purple-hulled Federal 1 oz. Game Load of #6 lead.  In the 12 gauge I've used Federal 2 3/4" magnum #6 lead with the Flite Control wad.

If anyone needs a .44XL handload recipe for an Iver Johnson Champion...............   :toothy9:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

BrowningGuy88

Mid 50's M12 30" full I shoot 2-3/4" magnums from Winchester and the old federals. 1.5 ounce loads. I have used 1-1/4, 1-1/2, and 1-5/8 ounce loads in it they all are killers.

It's fun to hunt these old guns, but man it's like toting a 12 ft board around with that 30" barrel!

Super Fox

Heavy guns: I have the same problem with this relatively rare, straight stocked HE Super-Fox, made in 1925.
It weighs 9 pounds and was really made for ducks and geese. It really works on large Canadians.
But, I have used it for turkey hunting as it really patterns nicely.

That said, I find myself carrying the lighter  1920's Long Range LC Smiths, as they balance well
and the Long Beard #5s or #4s with Kent Penetrator 5x5s work in them. There is a challenge with older stock wood.

btomlin

Quote from: BrowningGuy88 on March 31, 2024, 12:00:51 PM

It's fun to hunt these old guns, but man it's like toting a 12 ft board around with that 30" barrel!

I was just thinking the same thing when I grabbed my ol M37 with the mile long barrel and jug choke....I may have to give her some run this Spring. 

YoungGobbler

Quote from: crow on March 30, 2024, 03:13:41 PM
I hunt with Fed. Top Gun #7.5s 2.75" 1 1/8th oz. 1145 fps in the right (close) barrel in an old Greener and the old Fox, both Guns choked are xfull. This load is good to just about 35yds for head/neck patterns

I shoot handloads in the left barrel, #5 or #4s depending where I'm at. reduced powder charge with a little heavier shot charge helps with a denser center core.

100 year old wood cracking or splitting is a concern from heavy recoiling loads, I don't think its going to matter much if it's from a lead or heavier than lead load though.
Surprised to see you use federal top gun with 7 1/2 and 1 1/8th for turkey! But I have no doubt
it will fold'em if shot in neck/head area. It's just a good contrast with usual higher punch cartridges, but I like it  :icon_thumright:

crow

Quote from: YoungGobbler on April 03, 2024, 05:42:34 PM
Quote from: crow on March 30, 2024, 03:13:41 PM

Surprised to see you use federal top gun with 7 1/2 and 1 1/8th for turkey! But I have no doubt
it will fold'em if shot in neck/head area. It's just a good contrast with usual higher punch cartridges, but I like it  :icon_thumright:
I wouldn't use that as a primary load in a single barrel gun, but for the close barrel in a sxs it's good to 35, I cut it off at 30yds. Past that I would use the distance barrel

Super Fox

I have tried the Kent Penetrator 5 X 5s -which is a duplex load. As an untried  3-in shell, it may be relegated to the HE Fox
and the M-12 Heavy Duck guns. Another 2 3/4 -12 GA load is the Boss # 4 and # 5s for
the  Parker and 1916 BE Fox.
I am trying to tailor the factory loads for the gun and its older stock walnut. Along with acceptable patterns. I think RST
makes reduced 12 ga shells for really older shotguns. So does BOSS.