turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stolen Cameras

Started by briton, March 29, 2024, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

I am not a "serious" trail cam user but I have put cameras in a few locations over the last several years, mostly at water holes in the desert just to see what kinds of critters were watering there.  The one camera I had at a very accessible location close to a road was stolen after a few months.  After that, I moved the other couple of cameras I had to more remote locations and/or less conspicuous spots.  As it relates to turkey hunting, I have never set cameras with any intent to scout for turkeys. 

Regarding the "peripheral" discussions going on about trail cams, my only "unwavering" objection to the use of trail cameras is the use of cameras transmitting "real time" information to a device such that a hunter can then use that information to try to kill an animal that is currently hanging around the camera location.  I am pretty certain that is illegal here...and I would certainly hope it is illegal everywhere, whether on public or private property.  Without question, it is unethical...regardless of its legality. 

btomlin

I don't have a solution, but I always get a chuckle when I see a cam thread.

A few years ago, I get a call from my neighbor.  He is laughing and says, "you're going to get more than you bargained for on your camera".  I said, "what camera?".  Him, "the camera behind my house".  "I don't have a camera back there."  Neighbor: "well that's good, cuz I was back cutting wood and got a grumbly belly and had to take care of business fast and while doing the deed I looked over and see a camera.  Must be a trespasser so I'm going to take it, before they can get the pictures".

Anyways, I go down to his house and it is a cell camera.  I explain how the cell cams work and that somebody has a pic on their email already and I am losing it.  LOL.

A few weeks later, a friend of the neighbor's grandson comes to his house and asks for his camera back.  Ed said you could tell the kid had seen more than he wanted to see.  Ed also said he forgot he had given the kid permission to hunt and hadn't thought about the camera being the kid's.  LOL!!!  (I'm sitting here now just rolling!!)   Ed passed away in Dec....man, that dude was funny!

joey46

Will attempt to post a favorite picture that won't resize.  This coyote really wanted his picture taken.

dublelung

Quote from: Bowguy on April 01, 2024, 07:59:20 AM
Best thing to prevent stolen cameras imo is not use one. I've never had one stolen yet. Involve yourself in the sport. Attend the event

Yea same with guns. Don't own any and they won't get stolen from you. Right?

joey46

Please post in the forum's new ELITE section.  :drool: ;D :blob10:

No Elitist Section?  Start one and about six others could spend their time patting each other on the back and whining for the good day's   Really pathetic at times.

eggshell

I won the elite call raffle at the national convention....does that make me an elitist. Is there a link to that forum?

Zobo

Quote from: joey46 on April 02, 2024, 02:00:46 PM
Please post in the forum's new ELITE section.  :drool: ;D :blob10:

No Elitist Section?  Start one and about six others could spend their time patting each other on the back and whining for the good day's   Really pathetic at times.

For the record I think that guy doublelung  is being sarcastic and should not be directed towards the elitist section. Ask me any time Joey of you're having trouble I'll translate for you what people are actually saying.  :icon_thumright:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Old Gobbler

Cabin fever season again?
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon