turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stolen Cameras

Started by briton, March 29, 2024, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverBuck

Some of these threads should be required reading before considering joining the forum.

Zobo

Quote from: eggshell on April 01, 2024, 07:29:20 AM
I found an unknown trespasser's camera and stand on my M.I.L. and I made a small sign that said your trespassing please remove your stand and camera and stood in front of it. The sign also had my number and said "or you can call me and we'll discuss it with the game warden". Everything was gone the next

This is a good idea, I will try this approach next time
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

joey46

Quote from: RiverBuck on April 01, 2024, 09:22:07 AM
Some of these threads should be required reading before considering joining the forum.
Yes they should.  They would realize not everyone wants to sit around the campfire and cry about YouTube and social media.  Some do realize the days when buffalo were seen horizon to horizon and a gobbler was strutting behind every tree are long in the past.  Some will ADAPT, continue to hunt, and enjoy the experience.

Zobo

Quote from: joey46 on April 01, 2024, 06:19:31 PM
Quote from: RiverBuck on April 01, 2024, 09:22:07 AM
Yes they should.  They would realize not everyone wants to sit around the campfire and cry about YouTube and social media.  Some do realize the days when buffalo were seen horizon to horizon and a gobbler was strutting behind every tree are long in the past.  Some will ADAPT, continue to hunt, and enjoy the experience.

They should be required reading, agreed

Zobo

Quote from: Bowguy on April 01, 2024, 08:58:10 AM
Sport hunting is supposed to be sporting and anything electronic disconnects us from the sport. Less involved we are in our personal success. It becomes more about a dead animal and less about the experience or the way we harvested that animal. Makes not much sense to me someone things otherwise.

Yes absolutely, there are different stages in a hunter's life. The final stages are usually not about kill numbers and slams and trophies. But that mentality or understanding is earned through many seasons.

joey46

Always enjoy the phoney Elitist replies. We're here to kill turkeys not be the socially acceptable forum cool guy .  Hunt legally.  Leave everyone else alone.

RiverBuck

I'm a cattle farmer in the foothills of Virginia. I run about 30 cameras on a relatively large tract that consists of my farm and my neighbors. The cameras I use are mainly for deer management but also have helped with cattle issues, coyotes, bears, fox, trespassers, lost dogs, and lastly turkey. I don't put cameras out for turkey, turkey pics are an accident.

I'm glad the elitist turkey hunters have found a few like minded from this forum but don't kid yourself, putting turkey on a pedestal is not real world perspective. I am 100% hopelessly addicted to hunting turkey, collecting calls, and being in the Spring woods targeting them but the things I read from a certain group on here make me laugh regarding the most unintelligent animal in the woods. What I enjoy even more is reading some of these threads where the elite try an out elite the most elite.

You want to help turkey? Start trapping, shoot coyotes 365 days a year, and work on turkey habitat. 

briton

I've refrained from posting many times bc this forum is full of egotistical smart a**es that feel they are better than everyone else. I simply made a post hoping to gain a little insight on how others handled a similar situation. If you don't have any positive or valuable input just stay busy patting yourselves on the back on the back and stroking your ego while felling holier than thou instead of projecting your "excellence" on ppl. This is a new lease  (mainly a mismanaged clear cut with a few overgrown drains) that has little to no turkeys on it and I wanted some confidence that were at least a few birds passing thru so I could enjoy doing what I love to do instead of wasting my time off on ghosts. If a few pictures gets your panties in a wad then I feel sorry for the few ppl that endure your presence.

joey46

This is no longer a forum for the faint of heart. Live with it or punt.
It's forth down and twenty five.  PUNT .

Pick a team = The Elitist Whiners
Or
The Forum Realist

joey46

Quote from: joey46 on April 01, 2024, 08:39:49 PM

Or
The Forum Realist
Choose wisely.  Don't want to be a nitwit Elitist. 
Btw - more forum fun than I've had for a long time. lol

Zobo

Quote from: joey46 on April 01, 2024, 09:25:52 PM
Quote from: joey46 on April 01, 2024, 08:39:49 PM

Or
The Forum Realist
Choose wisely.  Don't want to be a nitwit Elitist. 
Btw - more forum fun than I've had for a long time. lol

Joey, you just quoted yourself! If that isn't the act of an elitist I don't know what is! lol!! :TooFunny:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: eggshell on April 01, 2024, 07:29:20 AM
I found a unknown trespasser's camera and stand on my M.I.L. and I made a small sign that said your trespassing please remove your stand and camera and stood in front of it. The sign also had my number and said "or you can call me and we'll discuss it with the game warden". Everything was gone the next day.

The county game warden tells landowners to leave a note and give it a week then take the camera, stand or any other fixture and if anyone complains call him. My family and friends have acquired a few stands, cameras and blinds over the years. I always leave a note you can get your stuff by calling this number and no one ever calls. They 100% know they are trespassing and are willing to gamble.
Not always, I had set up on an area I thought I was allowed to hunt because the one person who's land I was hunting and currently hunt had had a stand there so I thought it was their land. Had a guy who watches both properties come up and yell "Hello in the blind" I figured it was a DEC agent so I yelled out "Hold on, let me clear the chamber" and exited the blind, the guy politely informed me I was not in the land I thought I was on and I asked him if I could finish the day, he said he could not say yes to that so I took down my blind, cleared my stuff out and left and go ahold of the peoples land I was hunting to clarify the boundaries. I now have Basemap on my phone and pay the extra to see all the property information.   I only had a cheap flip phone at the time  so I did not have that ability at the time.

Sent from my SM-S136DL using Tapatalk
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

quavers59

Up here in New York Trail Cameras are everywhere  on Public. Seemingly- you can't  take a Piss without  your Formed being snapped- lol. I don't care- as long as it does not end up on Facebook.
     A good 5 years back,I found a Brand New expensive looking Trail Camera in Mid April as ,I was Scouting for the New York Spring Turkey Opener.  I figured-- THIS is the spot to set up Beautiful  open bottom  next to a Pond with a bunch of Loud Bullfrogs.
  Sure enough,I killed 2 Gobblers and Cynthia  killed 1 within feet of that Camera. One morning before,I killed one,I had to shine my Flashlight on and off quick a few times as a Turkey Hunter was starting to Lumber down slowly. He left- but was not Happy. Kept looking back down at me.
   The owner of that Expensive Trail Camera? Probably.  His Personal spot claimed-- Hell No!

joey46

I wave to other's cameras all the time on WMAs.  Part of the fun. 

eggshell

I have followed this thread and thought a lot about the discussion. After thinking about it I realized the number one reason I don't use cameras is I don't want to spend the money, I don't need another expense. I am not sure a camera would help me bag a gobbler or not. I have hunted the same properties for 52 years and I know where I will find birds from year to year. Myself or family lives on all this land and we watch the turkeys and deer all year long. It has nothing to do with old school, elitism or whatever, I just don't need to spend the money on an item that will tell me very little about where to hunt. When it comes to going to new areas I actually enjoy exploring them and figuring them out from scratch. Now I enjoy seeing pictures from others cameras and what wildlife is out there. The most interesting part of game cameras is seeing the unexpected, like I saw my first Bobcat in our area on a neighbor's game cam. Personally, my preference is to scout in person. I like walking the woods and reading sign and seeing for myself. I learn and see so much more that way. I realize some live a considerable distance from their hunting area and don't have the time to spend on the land. A camera probably is an advantage to those people, but hey hunters were killing game way before all this tech was even imagined. It also takes time to setup an monitor these cameras. Put me in the lazy old tight wad category, I ain't spending the money or the effort to run cameras and then discover some bum stole them. I will just wake up opening morning and go hunting. That has worked for me over 52 years so I think I'll just stay status quo.