turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stolen Cameras

Started by briton, March 29, 2024, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I know somebody that put out some film cameras where they could be seen and then in a less obvious place put some cell ones looking at the cheaper ones, they were able to catch the person with the hidden ones which they had looking down from on a tree. Hope this helps.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sungrazer

eggshell

I don't use cameras, but I don't have any serious issues with them either. It's fun to see what they pick up. I know a guy who is a habitual trespasser and I heard him say he hates those darn cameras and wish they'd never been invented. To me that makes them worth buying if they make trespassers nervous. I don't know if a trail camera is proof enough for a ticket from the game warden, but it certainly is enough to open a conversation. I guess I am just to tight with my limited cash to buy any and risk them being stolen. I have hunted for 60 years without them and I doubt they'd change my success much if any. I can see where they are more valuable for deer hunters than turkey, but still we all killed our deer before them. Does this fall into the category of catching the hunter (or his cash) more than it is catching the game? Oh yeah, that trespasser said he takes the cards from everyone he can, but he really hates the cell phone ones, because it's too late once he approaches the camera. I don't trespass but other people often put cameras up on farms I have permission to hunt or even public land. I don't like having my picture taken on them, because I feel like it's snooping on me and an invasion of my privacy. A friend told me once he saw me on his camera and told me, "you know I been watching a big buck at that spot and your probably spooking him off". This really kind of P.O.ed me, as it was my family's land and I had gotten him permission to hunt as a guest! That's my only negative I guess....

tracker#1

Yes, to the answer question for Joey 46...the boxes accommodate antennas. Tell them what model of camera

joey46

Thanks
Btw - my friend's cell phone camera recently recorded a chronic trespasser. Turned over to FWC.  Results will follow when I hear something.  Some places now have so many cameras lurking I double check before peeing.  Lol

1iagobblergetter

I've never believed in them...I might put a couple out to see if anyone is trespassing or not...
Cant you buy ones that when triggered they send pictures directly to your phone so you would see who is stealing your camera right when its happening? If i ever buy a couple thats the ones id want...

RiverBuck

I've been buying the Browning Defender cams and have no complaints. They have a built in antenna, use Verizon or AT&T, and have GPS theft protection. Pics go immediately to my phone app. I got one off eBay last week for $55. They have several different models but I haven't paid over 70 for a cell cam.

captpete

I use to run cameras all the time for deer hunting. I actually use to build them myself. I slowly got away from building them and using them. It was nice to see the deer and different wildlife. When I would get a good buck on camera, I would maybe get a several pics of him and never see him again. I have never shot a good buck that I saw on camera.

I like the idea of the cell cams. They would save me a lot time and gas checking them. I have about a 45 minute drive to where I hunt. The only issue with them would be I have terrible to almost non-existent cell service when I'm in the timber. If I'm in the timber, making a phone call can be iffy. My buddy can text me from a mile away and I more than likely won't get it until I get back to the truck, if even then. When I'm at the truck, I can for the most part make a phone call, but sending a text message is very hit or miss.

Zobo

The woods are a peaceful sanctuary for us hunters. A way to get away from the "real world" if only for an all too brief time. Using modern tech devices and cameras is unnecessary(especially for turkeys) and if I'm being honest kind of lame, certainly nothing to be proud of. I had a loser or two put cameras on my land more than once. They probably think I stole their cameras. The woods is really no place for technology...ok a cell phone for pictures and safety but that's about it for me.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

joey46

Just for the record if anyone other than a landowner or agent thereof tampers with another's camera they are a THIEF/VANDAL plain and simple.  Enough said.

eggshell

I found a unknown trespasser's camera and stand on my M.I.L. and I made a small sign that said your trespassing please remove your stand and camera and stood in front of it. The sign also had my number and said "or you can call me and we'll discuss it with the game warden". Everything was gone the next day.

The county game warden tells landowners to leave a note and give it a week then take the camera, stand or any other fixture and if anyone complains call him. My family and friends have acquired a few stands, cameras and blinds over the years. I always leave a note you can get your stuff by calling this number and no one ever calls. They 100% know they are trespassing and are willing to gamble.

Bowguy

Best thing to prevent stolen cameras imo is not use one. I've never had one stolen yet. Involve yourself in the sport. Attend the event

joey46

You know that really makes no sense?

If you are the landowner or their representative then do as you wish.  If you aren't and the camera was in place legally then leave it the "fxxx alone".  If a secondary camera of ours catches you screwing with ours you will be a THIEF publicly, criminally and civally.  Consider this the same as the nitwits who thought that letting the air of tires on public parking areas was okay if they were there first.

Bowguy

Sport hunting is supposed to be sporting and anything electronic disconnects us from the sport. Less involved we are in our personal success. It becomes more about a dead animal and less about the experience or the way we harvested that animal. Makes not much sense to me someone things otherwise. 

joey46

This forum REALLY needs an "Elitist Section".  You can't even guess how tickled I am that "elitist" has obviously struck a nerve with some.