turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stolen Cameras

Started by briton, March 29, 2024, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briton

Just curious if anyone has had any problems with stolen cameras, and if so, did you come up with any clever ways to catch them. Already thinking of setting up a decoy camera and trying to hide another one to catch them in the act. The problem is A: I don't want to get any more stolen, B: it's a clear cut so there it will be difficult to hide another camera within sight of the decoy camera. So furious atm.

joey46

Been running cameras for 15 years.  Stolen cameras part of the game.  We have had many cameras with the sims cards missing.  Thieves will always be thieves.  Like gambling don't play with more than you can lose. The anti theft boxes a joke.  A small sledge hammer beats them all.  A second secretive camera watching the first may get you a suspect.  He'll be a neighbor that's been trespassing for years.

Hook hanger

Use a ladder to set camera's high enough to not be able to reach.

3bailey3

I set one up on a public road today, just to see who is driving by camp, it will be gone by Monday!

RiverBuck

If had them stolen and or cards missing. I've heard of people using apple airtags to track them but that could be another can of worms. My play is not using my best cams in spots where the potential of getting stolen happen. Also, I bring one full size climbing stick to set them higher and out of reach. I don't use straps but screw in camera mounts. Natchez usually has ridiculous sales on trail cams. I've bought $200 cameras for 40 bucks and use them as my burner cams.

joey46

I think I paid $28 from Amazon for one that's watching a strut zone now.  I test it first by our back yard bird feeder.  If it doesn't work back it goes.  We hunt an active cattle ranch.  Cows love to lick them.  We can get some unusual photos. Lol.

Zobo

Joey, I have an elitist solution that you will appreciate. It's fool proof and no one can ever steal your cameras again:   don't use them.  :icon_thumright::love5:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

joey46

Is "bite me" permissible on this forum?  If so guess what the next sentence will say?  LOL. 

BTW - the $28 amazon camera now up to $29.60.  Better jump on them.  At that price they are disposable.

Double BTW - as usual no profile info.  No State. No age. No email.  No surprise.
At least we know you may speak English :z-guntootsmiley:

tracker#1

I work in retail selling trail cams and I sell a lot to customers who have to replace the stolen ones. I use the steal security boxes from TrailcamPro or camlockbox.com. They fit cameras like gloves and have holes in the back plate for securing to trees with lag bolts. I run a Master lock Python cable security cable through each box/camera. I have never had one stolen yet. It's worth the extra $$ and I can sleep at night. If they want my camera, then they will need a chainsaw...

joey46

We'll look into the boxes you mention.  On public WMAs drilling lag bolts would be frowned upon.  The 3 we're running now are on private and that wouldn't be a problem.  Would they accommodate the high antennas such as on the Spypoints?  Thanks.

deathfoot

Since I only place cameras on private land I hunt, I've yet to have one stolen. I have had some memory cards stolen, which is weird to me. I guess the neighbor slipped over and wanted to not be see ? I'm guessing

joey46

Bet you are 100% correct about the neighbors or someone you would recognize.

Old Gobbler

I'm gonna tell you a million dollar idea , and I've had it for years ...dont worry about the camera someone should make a device that records gobbles...distance...and direction

The tech is out there , they just need someone to put all together
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Alabama556

I saw a documentary on a turkey study that I think Mississippi State did and they had a device that recorded gobbles as part of the project. I can't remember the details.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

briton

They are called autonomous recording units ARU's and pick up on the direct frequency of the gobble within 300 or so meters I believe. University of Auburn was doing the study along with Mr. Chamberlain from UGA if I remember correctly