Main Menu

Need A New Vest

Started by Tnandy, March 26, 2024, 01:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShortMagFan

I've tried a lot of different vests

I can't believe the people that like the Sitka vest. Couldn't give me one

I'm similar size to the OP

Last few years I've been using a Knight and Hale RNG 200 and have loved it. I did some custom modifications to make it exactly like I wanted it

The seat on that one was good enough but was starting to lose its cushion so I ordered and returned a bunch of different vests. Finally found myself in a store with the primos signature vest in stock (and in person vs mail order) and fell in love. It isn't a minimalist vest like the RNG 200 and I've only worn it on a couple scouting / listening trips but so far I love it.

Keep in mind, Sizing on the signature vest runs huge. I'm 5'9" and 240 and a medium is plenty big on me. So keep that in mind

Edited to add: one vest I haven't tried is the Fox vest. I'd love to try one but wouldn't participate in all the hype last year

g8rvet

I fit Marc's definition of duck and turkey hunter (tall and fat) and the Cabelas Tatr worked fine for several years, but I was never really in love with it. 

I got the Ol Tom Time and Motion Easy Rider in the large size (had to order from Drake) and so far, I love it.  Lighter weight, carries everything from my old vest.  Everything is in front of me instead of to my side.  Cushion could be better, but I carry a seat d/t legs going to sleep on the ground for too long (no fun hopping up to head to bird and the legs don't want to cooperate).  The pouch would likely be too small for a bird, but I tote them out with a strap over the shoulder anyways.   Time will tell how it lasts. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

RoyalKnight

I haven't bought a vest since around 2003, yes not a typo 2003. I am looking at some new technology.

CALLM2U

It's pretty well established that there is no perfect vest out there.  All have their pros and cons. 

I will throw one out that doesn't get a lot of attention, but I used one for about 3 years and wouldn't have any issue with picking it back up again.  That's the Tenzing TV18. 

Good straps, seat and pocket layout.  The biggest con for me was that it's not made for small framed people. 

ruination

Quote from: ShortMagFan on March 27, 2024, 12:15:51 PM

Last few years I've been using a Knight and Hale RNG 200 and have loved it. I did some custom modifications to make it exactly like I wanted it

The seat on that one was good enough but was starting to lose its cushion so I ordered and returned a bunch of different vests. Finally found myself in a store with the primos signature vest in stock (and in person vs mail order) and fell in love. It isn't a minimalist vest like the RNG 200 and I've only worn it on a couple scouting / listening trips but so far I love it.

Keep in mind, Sizing on the signature vest runs huge. I'm 5'9" and 240 and a medium is plenty big on me. So keep that in mind

Edited to add: one vest I haven't tried is the Fox vest. I'd love to try one but wouldn't participate in all the hype last year

It's really funny to me you like the RnG but not the Sitka...They are pretty similar.
.410 Favors the Bold

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: ruination on March 27, 2024, 03:58:50 PM

It's really funny to me you like the RnG but not the Sitka...They are pretty similar.
I'm in the same boat, I loved my RNG 200 and 300 but hated the Sitka, I put it on, put a couple calls in it and decided it needed a new home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruination

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 27, 2024, 04:20:21 PM

I'm in the same boat, I loved my RNG 200 and 300 but hated the Sitka, I put it on, put a couple calls in it and decided it needed a new home

That's funny to me, because they hold the same things.  Not saying there aren't things I miss about the RnG.  But I would be saying the same thing about the Sitka.  Guess some people are a bit more particular.
.410 Favors the Bold

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: ruination on March 27, 2024, 04:43:07 PM

That's funny to me, because they hold the same things.  Not saying there aren't things I miss about the RnG.  But I would be saying the same thing about the Sitka.  Guess some people are a bit more particular.
Man you would not believe how particular I am when it comes to my turkey vest. I am not joking, by any stretch of the word, that I have owned every single turkey vest on the market that has been manufactured between 2014 and now other than the Alps Grand Slam and the TideWe knock off of it, and probably 2 dozen more that have been manufactured between the 90's and mid 2000's. Every brand and different styles from old Tom, grounded, knight and hale, mossy oak, alps, nomad, etc. And have sent or am sending every one of them down the road to new homes except for the fox vest I recently acquired. To me, so far, it has been as close to perfect of a vest in my opinion that has been made.   I get that they all serve the same purpose and what not, but I like them to fit the way I like and have the pockets in the right spots to make my hunt as efficient as possible. You could always wear a dress as your hunting clothing of choice, but why would you?.

ShortMagFan

I can't describe what specifically I didn't like about the Sitka vest but will say I also can't say anything I did like about it.

The seat seems thinner than the RNG, I don't like the big rigid pocket on the Sitka and I've always been partial to mossy oak over sitka's various camo patterns. So there are a couple of things unique to me

I've never owned a Sitka product but know plenty of people pay the price and love their stuff. But sometimes I wonder if people force themselves to like it because it's so dang expensive. I'm supposed to deer hunt in Canada next fall and will likely load up on some Sitka stuff for that trip fwiw

Dazzler

Have you had any durability/quality issues with the RNGs?  I've owned 3-4 over the course of 6 years.  The stitching has given way on two of the seats and the pals webbing on one was unusable due to spacing (<1"). The underside of the seat pad on one didn't last two hunts.  Sternum straps were functional, but it was visibly obvious that the stitching was working its way out.

All of them were sold at the end of season bc I don't think they would have made it through another.  I don't consider myself overly hard on my gear either.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Dazzler on March 28, 2024, 10:38:19 AM

Have you had any durability/quality issues with the RNGs?  I've owned 3-4 over the course of 6 years.  The stitching has given way on two of the seats and the pals webbing on one was unusable due to spacing (<1"). The underside of the seat pad on one didn't last two hunts.  Sternum straps were functional, but it was visibly obvious that the stitching was working its way out.

All of them were sold at the end of season bc I don't think they would have made it through another.  I don't consider myself overly hard on my gear either.
I haven't and I'm very hard on my gear. I don't use the seat on any vest because they're more hassle than useful in my opinion. I've worn them rainy or sunny. No issues at all. I also don't use the Molle loops or whatever. The 200 has more space in it for gear than I want to carry anyway without additional pouches.

WVhuntEER

Quote from: ShortMagFan on March 28, 2024, 10:20:46 AM

I can't describe what specifically I didn't like about the Sitka vest but will say I also can't say anything I did like about it.

The seat seems thinner than the RNG, I don't like the big rigid pocket on the Sitka and I've always been partial to mossy oak over sitka's various camo patterns. So there are a couple of things unique to me

I've never owned a Sitka product but know plenty of people pay the price and love their stuff. But sometimes I wonder if people force themselves to like it because it's so dang expensive. I'm supposed to deer hunt in Canada next fall and will likely load up on some Sitka stuff for that trip fwiw
Get a fanatic hoodi. I bought one that was on sale and it has the built in face mask and mittens. I wear it all the time even when I'm not hunting.

Marc

Quote from: fmf on March 26, 2024, 04:16:57 PM
I can't overstress how much I like the Sitka vest.  I wasn't a Sitka guy at all before I bought it, and honestly didn't want to like it.  Now I'm considering buying a spare in case they discontinue it or something.

I often have a long walk uphill in steep terrain...  I have tried turkey totes and do not like them as much as the gamebag on my vest.  Does Sika have any sort of game bag, or game system to carry a bird?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Marc on March 28, 2024, 11:51:34 AM
I can't overstress how much I like the Sitka vest.  I wasn't a Sitka guy at all before I bought it, and honestly didn't want to like it.  Now I'm considering buying a spare in case they discontinue it or something.

I often have a long walk uphill in steep terrain...  I have tried turkey totes and do not like them as much as the gamebag on my vest.  Does Sika have any sort of game bag, or game system to carry a bird?
They do not, but you could modify the vest to carry a turkey out

Dazzler

Quote from: Marc on March 28, 2024, 11:51:34 AM

No game bag but weight distribution is similar. The system is a built in tote that hangs your bird by the feet and puts the bird on your back and you stabilize with the horizontal compression straps.