OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kentucky WMA's

Started by PoorMansWrangler, March 28, 2024, 09:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorMansWrangler

Appreciate the help! We are going to swing the bat at see what happens, may get lucky and stumble upon one

kytrkyhntr

Good luck. If you're going where I think you're going.. half of Ohio is there so you should see plenty of familiar faces. :z-guntootsmiley:
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

joey46

Where in the 708,000 acres available in the DB would that be?  Just curious.  I'm a curious guy. :TrainWreck1:

Kylongspur88

Quote from: joey46 on April 02, 2024, 05:20:16 PM
Where in the 708,000 acres available in the DB would that be?  Just curious.  I'm a curious guy. :TrainWreck1:
There's a lot of the forest that isn't huntable. It's either landlocked on all sides by private property or just inaccessible because of terrain. It's also not a game rich area because of terrain and the lack of habitat diversity. There were only 1153 deer killed there last year and 627 male turkeys. That's less than were killed in several individual counties. But if you do go to the forest it's good to know Wolfe county search and rescue is the absolute best in the business.

kytrkyhntr

Hey Joey, hilarious once again... but I will be willing to bet you that Daniel Boone is not what is being inquired about.... You've done enough help dropping county names.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

joey46

Always glad to oblidge.   When someone is willing to research these landlock areas they aren't really inaccessible.  Unlike BLM land most NF land has easements.  A gate and No Trespassing sign is often phoney.  OnX really has changed the game.

Kylongspur88

Quote from: joey46 on April 02, 2024, 06:29:13 PM
Always glad to oblidge.   When someone is willing to research these landlock areas they aren't really inaccessible.  Unlike BLM land most NF land has easements.  A gate and No Trespassing sign is often phoney.  OnX really has changed the game.
That's simply not true. I don't know how it works where ever you're from but people would do well not to go poking around on posted property in Eastern Kentucky. In other words don't come up my holler.

joey46

Pfft . Someone's been watching Justified reruns. I remember going to a resident's door with a county sheriff to have an illegal gate unlocked.  Being an active LEO at the time helped.  This same crap happens all over Ohio's Wayne NF.

Vintage

Don't go in Eastern Ky acting like a tough guy or you won't come home. If a sign says no trespassing best to just drive on.

GobbleNut

In an effort to lower the temperature on the topic of National Forests and legal access, the best course of action is to get the "Motor Vehicle Travel Map" that I believe every national forest has nowadays.  That way, you will have a legal document that clearly shows you where the public roads and trails are on the forest, as well as showing public/private land ownership.  Although mapping apps will generally have this information on them, as well, they are not always accurate and could get you in trouble.  Get the travel map!

I suspect there are private landowners across the country within National Forests that will do what they can to limit access to forest lands, including locking up legally-established, public roads (at least that is the case out here in the west).  Conversely, there are also roads on NF's that cross private property and then go onto forest land that are NOT legally accessible.  The travel maps will clarify any/all of this for you...and if you find a road that is locked up that is a designated public road, you have a government document to support any effort you might make to gain access. 

However, it is advisable to not take matters into your own hands when faced with an illegally-locked gate.  Report any such incident to the governing authorities and have them deal with it...if you have the time and patience to wait on a resolution. 

joey46

Probably been all over eastern KY since before you were born (if your really 71 maybe not ). My knees no longer can do the Boone.
An On X app and if necessary a trip to the county courthouse can confirm any conflicts.  I became a public land access advocate in the 1980s.  The things landowners pull are amazing.  If I lived out west I'd be a nightmare corner crosser.

GobbleNut

Quote from: joey46 on April 02, 2024, 08:30:53 PM
Probably been all over eastern KY since before you were born (if your really 71 maybe not ). My knees no longer can do the Boone.

I wish that I could say you are correct.  Unfortunately, I would have to subtract a year or two.  ...And I know full well about the knees...as well as several other body parts...   ;D :D

joey46

Turn this into a LONG story.  Bow hunting a section of the Wayne National in Ohio ran into a situation where the local boys thought they had everyone locked out with phoney signs.  Three of us would camp and hunt but one would always stay by the tents and sleep in. We rotated the camp guard so two were hunting one was hanging around.  After a few drive bys everyone got along.  The county sheriff removed the No Parking signs tacked to the trees.  I have pictures but so far can't find them.