News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kentucky WMA's

Started by PoorMansWrangler, March 28, 2024, 09:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorMansWrangler

Hey everyone,
Decided to try my first out of state hunt this year, planning on heading to Kentucky from Ohio. Went down to a couple WMA's this past Monday and did some scouting. Heard a few birds, saw a few, and found some sign. Was hoping to bounce a couple of questions off people if possible.

Any ideas on the pressure these WMA's get, particularly on opener? We have a decent drive, and will get there as early as needed, but if there are going to be 20 trucks in the lot behind us, we may re think our strategy. We targeted one area that seems to have limited spots for vehicles, and a gate at the entrance, but there are other access points that could make it get western.

Also, this is my first time hunting hill country of any kind. Terrain at these WMA's seems to be primarily ridges that are more open, with thicker bottoms. Bottoms seem to thick for turkeys to use, but not sure. Typically will the turkeys roost on the ridges and pitch down to the bottoms, or vice versa?

Finally, there is an unmaintained road/logging trail that cuts lengthwise alongside of one of the areas we looked at. We found some tracks alongside the road, will turkeys walk these roads? We were thinking about trying to get close to a roosted bird but setting up alongside the road since it is more open, and we found tracks on on the road.

Appreciate all the help, and I am sure I will have more questions as season comes closer. Feel free to pm me as well if that's easier, not trying to burn any spots up 

RemingtonRules

I would rethink your strategy

ScottTaulbee

Probably not the answer you're looking for but I'm in KY. Our WMA's have seen such an increase of OOS pressure the past 2 years that it pretty much isn't even worth fighting the crowd and going. WMA I grew up hunting, this was last year, after 9 am on a Thursday, 6 days in to our season. 1 of 4 gates on this place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadbuck

That is nasty, worse than Mississippi

joey46

Hunted KY since the 80s.  Lived near LBL from 95 to 2004.  Go east and try and find something in the Daniel Boone.  My knees can no longer do the DB but if mid season and weekdays you can't find someplace to hunt you're not looking hard enough.  Good luck. 

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: joey46 on March 28, 2024, 12:34:11 PM
Hunted KY since the 80s.  Lived near LBL from 95 to 2004.  Go east and try and find something in the Daniel Boone.  My knees can no longer do the DB but if mid season and weekdays you can't find someplace to hunt you're not looking hard enough.  Good luck.
As you can tell from the above photo, we don't have nearly enough hunters here and I believe in hunting local populations of turkeys in to extinction as much as the next guy until the local hunters have nothing to chase but 49 and the memories of turkey feathers. With that being said, from my understanding you're in Florida?. Would you mind to drop a couple spots around your house on a public forum that you'd like to see void of turkey in the next few years?. Me and 200 of my closest neighbors would love to take in your local WMA's scenery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kytrkyhntr

Put me down for a ky turkey pin even swap for a Florida pin... since we're all making deals here
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

runngun

Messed up part is YOU know that someone has ALREADY sent him a message!!! BET!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

joey46

What's the Boone 600,000 acres?  Half of KY and TN already been here in FL since March 2nd.  Get over it.  Some of you guys are a hoot.

Btw - the local WMAs near me all in a quota system.  Get used to that also. It's the coming thing most everywhere.  The times they are a changing. ADAPT

Tom Threetoes

Get there plenty early and be prepared for someone to come in on you!

joey46

If you can't find someplace in 708,000 acres stay home.

Kylongspur88

We're out of turkeys. Sorry.

joey46

Thanks to the best telecheck system in the country we know you aren't all out of turkeys,

countryboy3006

Every time I have hunted on a WMA here it looks like it has more trucks than turkeys and I try to hunt midweek.

joey46

One thing I remember from years in the DB was that many abutting landowners did their best to restrict legal access. Very similar to the BLM shenanigans out west.  Get yourself an OnX or similar app. It will pay dividends. In the good old days I spent time in the Rowan County courthouse looking at platt maps. No longer necessary. Good luck.