Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Some days it’s just like that

Started by harleytom, April 01, 2024, 08:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytom

Opening day in NW Bama today. Got into listening spot well before daylight. Hot and muggy is an understatement. Nothing gobbling off the limb, as a matter of fact no gobbles all day. I knew there were 4-5 gobblers running around the corner of our club that backed up to a major creek. Lone hen came by my opening setup around 7:30 on a hurry somewhere, is she laying already I thought. I decided to just move and hit high points calling every 20 minutes or so to see if I could strike one. I may or may not have even dozed off once or twice under a big pine with the southern breeze keeping me cool. As the day was getting late I decided to work my way back to my opening set and then on to my truck. I sat down about 4pm and thought I'd finish the day by this field where they usually liked to hang out on some day. Around 5 I decided to give a few jake yelps as I thought I heard something in the creek bottom behind me. I said I'd give it until 6 and then call it a long day. Around 5:15 I glanced to my right and saw a hen in the side of the field, leaning out I saw there were 2 gobblers with her. I picked out the last bird and let it go when he was about 35 yards away. At 5:30 one of the warmest and quietest opening days I've ever experienced came to an end. Not exactly the most exciting but proof again that knowing what is in the area pays off. He was a 2 year old bird, 9 inch beard, 3/4 inch spurs on both legs and weighed 18 lbs. not an upgrade for the team but a good start to my Alabama season in any case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

zsully

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

a_jabbo

Awesome, Harley!!! Congratulations!

POk3s

Delmar ODonnell

Congrats Harley! Way to stay after him!