Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Saturday Devotional..07/16/11 Family According to the Word of God

Started by pappy, July 16, 2011, 11:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

I was raised in what most would call a dysfunctional home, both parents were alcoholics, father was physically abusive, siblings were outrageously unruly and we grew up without much spiritual guidance.  I reflect on the things of my past, the terror, the lonesome times and the only goal I had set was to get out!
Is this picture painted over and over again in today's society? In home after home, are there still children living in fear of their own family? Is abusiveness still running rampant within the privacy of the home? Sure!
This is why I turned to the Holy Scriptures for guidance once I was free from the past, this is where the truth lies, and any one can access the wonder of God's word and find the real course of living can be had just by following a few simple rules..look at Colossians 4:18-21...Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and be not bitter against them. Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord. Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.
So much can be gained, if only we would follow the simple rules set up by the Most High Himself. Wives submit...that does not mean become a slave to your husband, but to remain faithful to him, to honor his place in the marriage...as long as he is the Spiritual leader he should be respected as such. Men should definitely love their wives, but not like they would any pretty thing that comes along, but as sincere as they would love themselves. Would you as a man, hit yourself in the face until you couldn't see? Would you curse yourself until you had no self respect? And as for the children, the blessed gifts of God, teach them to honor and obey, FIRST, by being the Honorable and Respectful parents you should be. Don't teach your children not to lie if you're gonna lie through your teeth, don't teach them not to steal if you do.....teach them to love and honor and to respect their position in the family, readying them for their future. And fathers, oh my....the old ways are not always the best ways...my dad told me men never cry, men never show emotions, he was wrong....oh so wrong...and in his later years I know he regretted the fact that he did not show more of his love, FATHERS NEED TO LOVE THEIR CHILDREN AND SHOW THEM THEIR LOVE NOT BY GIFTING, BUT BY DOING AND CARING TO DO THOSE THINGS THAT WOULD CEMENT THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH THEM.
As simple as it seems, these scriptures are the bread and butter of the family. And there are many more to be found, if only we took the time and effort to explore them. Some people would say.."I don't need any help in raising my family!" To them I say hawg wash! Everyone can use a helping hand, when God decided to send His son to earth to start a new family, did we not see Him help Jesus time after time ?  And did not Jesus help  His disciples in order to jump start the church family?
Love and live to love.....your family is a precious gift and privilege and one that is to be respected and treated in a way that would be pleasing to God!
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

BOFF

Thank you Jack.

We as husbands, fathers, and followers of Christ, can always do better.

God Bless,
David B.

Duke0002

Roostem33

Great devotional and a message that needs to be heard!! Thanks Jack!!

Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)