OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What is your tolerance level for the weather

Started by King Cobra, March 28, 2024, 06:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

Lightning is a hunt killer. Heavy winds are a killer as well. Rain puts the blind in the middle of a field. Its always cold here the first 10 days to 2 weeks of the season so I dress accordingly. They live there year round and have to be somewhere. If the weather conditions make it unfun, then I am opting out. I give back any advantage our technology and gear give us because of my hearing and physical maladies, I'm not going to make it a miserable day. God Bless all of you "hunt or die" guys. I am one tier below Y'all. Z

Badger

The older I get, the less I will likely I am going to hunt in high winds or and sideways rain. I've been hunting in WVA and KS and had to hug the tree to stay in stand and when younger my goretex coat pockets would fill up with rain, but now I have backed of some.

aclawrence

Quote from: runngun on March 28, 2024, 11:54:34 AM
I can and will hunt in any weather except for FOG! We can get some very thick fog during turkey season. 
I was hunting a few years ago and I could clearly see and hear 5 tornadoes around me! Shot a Longbeard and then I got out of there!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
I still have a memory burned into my mind of a long beard appearing like a ghost out of the fog and crossing in front of me. I knew he was there. We had been talking.  When he appeared I was so caught off guard and really couldn't tell how far he was. Of course this only lasted seconds and he vanished just as quickly. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captpete

We have short seasons here. Our 1st season is only 4 days long. So, I will hunt in wind and snow...prefer not, but I will. I don't mind hunting in a light, brief rain shower. If it's a down poor, thunder/lighting, I'm going to wait it out. If there is a good chance of off & on rain showers I take my "rain kit" which basically is a couple of pot calls(that I don't care if they get wet), my chair, gun & decoys. My vest and "good calls stay in the truck or at home.   

Last year I REALLY learned my lesson with the thunder/ lighting. Opening morning of our 3rd season. They were calling for scattered showers and possible storms early in the day then clear off. I checked the radar before leaving home and there wasn't anything showing within 60- 70 miles. I make the 15 minute drive, get in the timber(about 500yards from the truck) and get set up. I have several birds gobbling. All of a sudden it just pours rain for about 45 seconds...glad I worn the rain suit. About 10 minutes later the birds are still gobbling on the roost and I start to hear thunder off in the distance. Roughly 20 minutes later I see a flash of lighting off in the distance and decide I need to get back to the truck. I was holding a shotgun and sitting in a turkey chair next to giant cottonwood tree...I was basically a lightning rod.
  I get back to the truck and I'm listening to the radio waiting out the storm. It's storming pretty good with quite a bit of lightning. All of sudden there was big ball of light and a loud boom at the same time...no pause between the light and the sound. It sounded like someone shot a shotgun right beside the truck window. The truck shook and my ears rang. It didn't hit the truck, but it was REAL close. I left and came back a couple hours later only to have it start storming again so I left for the day.

Paulmyr

I was dropped on a ridge top in Northern Mo by my brother who circled around to work the bottom. This was before smart phones and instant access to radar. 1/2 hour in as I was nearing my listening point for roosted gobblers I could see lightning in the distance. That storm went from lightning in the distance to all around me in matter of maybe 15/20 mins. Several lightning blasts within a couple hundred yards of my location and  one or 2 almost on top me had me toss my gun, space myself evenly and hastily between the trees surrounding me, and curl into the fetal position with arms and legs tucked underneath me with hopes they wouldn't be blown off by arching lightning. Simply put, I was S'ing my pants!

As fast as the storm blew in it was gone! My brother was pretty relieved when he seen me exit the wood line at the bottom of the ridge.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Dougas

Any weather that is above 20 degrees and not producing lightning is go time for me. In the temperate rain forest of coastal Oregon, where I live, turkey, deer, bear and elk seasons are typically rainy with temps between 20 and 60 degrees.

Manager8

Lightening is my no go other then that I'm pretty much a go. I'll use a blind on those steady rainy days

GobbleNut

Conditions I will hunt in are directly correlated to how far away from home I am and how much effort I have put in to being where I am hunting.  In other words, if I am close to home, I can wait for good weather conditions...and if I am far from home, I got no choice to try to hunt if I want to kill a gobbler there. 

Having said that, my least favorite weather-related conditions to hunt in locally are high winds and heavy rain or snow.  The winds are a common problem...rain/snow less so, but occasionally.

One weather-related concern around here that we have every spring is the forests potentially being so dry due to the lack of winter precipitation that the Forest Service closes access to the National Forests.  Now that possibility, although extremely rare, has happened a time or two...and that is a REAL weather-related bummer!  ::)

Dougas

Around here, if it is sunny and warm, I have to really struggle to decide on doing yard work or house maintenance or go hunting. Usually hunting wins out on sunny days, but, if it is raining out, no  need for a struggle for a decision. It's hunt on! Rain = hunting for us over here..