only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is your tolerance level for the weather

Started by King Cobra, March 28, 2024, 06:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Hard rain?   Waiting it out.
Lightning? Waiting it out 
Wind?  I'm going, if one answers (low percent) he is coming in hard and fast.  I hunt a lot of creek bottoms and they are usually less windy anyway.
Drizzle/fog- hunt

My son's first gobbler came on a foggy day hunting a field.  Bird gobbled at normal time but stayed in the tree another hour.  When he gobbled on the ground, I started calling.  He took his time, but headed right to us.  He gobbled and told son he is on this field.  We could not see him and the field edge was 125 yards away.  Seeing a big mature longbeard appear out of the mist and my son kill him at 30 yards was probably my single biggest thrill turkey hunting. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

1iagobblergetter

I'm going in whatever mother nature throws at me! Can't kill'em or experience it on the couch..
Killed em in rain,snow,wind,etc. Adds to the challenge!

Joneshunter

King Cobra

Back in my college days me and two hunting buddies of mine were at a dorm party, we were having a few beers and decided we were going to go turkey hunting the next morning. We got up at about five dragged ourselves out of bed and off we went. They were calling for a scuff of snow with light winds. We reached our destination; the ground was white and the wind was blowing. I couldn't get either one of them out of the truck. I went on by myself to listen about a hundred yards from the truck. I heard one gobble, came back to the truck to tell them and they didn't believe me. I finally got them out of the truck and we ended up killing that bird. We were hunting National Forest and decided to head out the mountain. The wind started to die, the temperature started to rise, and you could see blue skies every once in a while. To make a long story short we all killed a bird that morning. It was all of our only "triple" to this day.

Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

mountainhunter1

I used to would sit right through a down pour and keep on hunting. Thunderstorms were not so often in the spring, but I for years did the same with them and the thunder would often just make the Tom gobble more. Then one day I came to my senses and quit that stuff. After you have killed enough turkeys, it is not that big of a deal to wait for a better day as far as weather. I don't so much hate me getting wet, but man I hate to get all of my stuff wet, especially my gun. No fun cleaning a gun after climbing in the mtns for eight-nine hours that day.

I will hunt the wind, but most times it really makes for a hard go of it in many of my favorite spots. 
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

King Cobra

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on March 28, 2024, 05:49:54 PM
I used to would sit right through a down pour and keep on hunting. Thunderstorms were not so often in the spring, but I for years did the same with them and the thunder would often just make the Tom gobble more. Then one day I came to my senses and quit that stuff. After you have killed enough turkeys, it is not that big of a deal to wait for a better day as far as weather. I don't so much hate me getting wet, but man I hate to get all of my stuff wet, especially my gun. No fun cleaning a gun after climbing in the mtns for eight-nine hours that day.

I will hunt the wind, but most times it really makes for a hard go of it in many of my favorite spots.

X2
I don't so much hate me getting wet, but man I hate to get all of my stuff wet, especially my gun.
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

WV Flopper

I will set in the truck on a heavy rain, hopefully I make it to the truck before the rain gets to the 9# mark. Otherwise, I am in da woods

gagoosebuster

I live in the south so its always warm during turkey season, lightning and super heavy rain are the only thing that will keep me out of the woods.

Cowboy

Heavy downpours. Nope.
Lightning. Nope.
Super windy days. I'll go, but it feels more like deer hunting than turkey hunting.   

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

YoungGobbler

I'm part of the guys who hunt when they can if season is open, regardless of the weather.

paintbrush

Here in MN. we only get 7 days to hunt, and if you have to work 4 of them, your down to 3 days hunting,so I go no matter what the weather. If it's raining I'll sit in a pop-up, but if it's nice out, I like to move around the best I can depending on the property size.

dzsmith

It's situational. I've killed them all weather , called them up gobbling in all weather .... Though the weather seems to play a factor in overall gobbling and activity , if a bird is ready hes ready . I don't like hunting in horrible weather , but sometimes I've no choice with my time off . I definitely don't prefer it, and I don't like drenching my equipment as that is more time spent taking care of said equipment after the hunt cutting more in to my time off .... But it does on occasion pay off . Unfortunately where I live , early spring you can expect stormy , sporadic , unpredictable weather ... like this year . I've been off 3 times and it's rained "monsoon" 2 out of those 3 times ..... has been beautiful weather in between of course lol
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

g8rvet

Back when I was on call and had fewer days off, nephew and I went out in crazy heavy rainy, windy weather.  the rain slacked so we headed to where we were gonna set up.  On the way nephew said "The train is running early".  I told him the tracks were to the north and the sound was to the south.  No doubt we heard a tornado - one was sighted at daybreak north of us, but luckily it never actually touched down.  We sat down and started calling.  No one believes it but we watched a jake and gobbler downwind of us and hit my box call and we could see him gobble. No lie, 200 yards away, wind blowing like crazy and neither of us could hear it, but we watched him gobble.  He came in to about 50 yards (of course jake was 25).  Nephew was older and I would not let him shoot the jake and we had to let the gobbler pass (nephew said we could have killed him if we both shot, but I explained I would rather do battle another day than risk crippling a bird).  Memorable hunt even though no bird was killed. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Hook hanger

Won't go out if its lightning close, hailing,  or a tornado is present. I've had too many close calls with those conditions to risk it ever again.

TrackeySauresRex

I probably hunt 12/15 days a season.  Almost anything goes on opening day.. except lightning, snow storm, heavy rain.
  The rest, I'll have to see how the season is going. I'm not getting a wet A$$$ if I don't have to. If it's raining hard, I'll wait for a late morning hunt when it slows down. Out of state hunts I usually plan around the weather.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."