turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is your tolerance level for the weather

Started by King Cobra, March 28, 2024, 06:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTaulbee

To give you a story, I was in my 3rd or 4th year as a turkey hunter, I hadn't killed one yet but had missed a few, I was probably 9 years old. It was our youth season and my older brother was my ride, we started our evening hunt at around 3 or 4 pm. A couple hours in to it my brother had a handful of gobblers tore up, most I've ever heard in an evening, 6 or 7 if I remember right. Anyway, it starts getting really windy, sky got so dark it looked like night, and thundering and lightning. We were probably 500 yards from the truck and we just kept working those birds until they quit gobbling. About that time the sky opened up and it came a duck drowner, my brother was worried about getting stuck because he had a 2wd ford ranger and my dad was at work for the night, over an hour away in his 4wd truck, so against my will, knowing we had turkeys there, we left. We pull in to the drive way of our house about 2 miles up the road and our mom came out crying and cussing us, and we didn't know what was going on. Come to find out, a tornado had been spotted like 15 miles from where we were hunting and she had been trying to call my brother's cell phone but we didn't have service. She had called my dad and he was on the way home to come look for us. She thought for sure we were had out there.

I will hunt in any weather. If it's turkey season. Now if it's deer season, it won't take much for me to sit it out until another day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

Some days I hunt the crap weather some days I wait it out, but I'm usually in the truck ready to roll when it breaks!

Opener for one state last year was a total white out blizzard, 5 inches of fresh snow and wind, went anyway, right before daylight the weather quit and surprisingly the birds were vocal, worked a coyote but didn't shoot one until after 3 pm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Wigsplitter

Usually sit out the heavy rain but am ready to roll asap as soon as it quits

Sungrazer

Only get so many days to enjoy God's creation, if I'm off work I'm hunting. Lightning is the only thing that deters me. I've had some absolutely miserable dark to dark days of deer hunting, with that said I'm always amazed how cold I can be in April Turkey hunting Illinois.

Muzzy61

Quote from: Jfowler82 on March 28, 2024, 08:30:54 AM
I won't hunt in pouring rain but I'll be waiting in the truck till it lets up !

^^^
Same here
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Paulmyr

I don't do rain. Wind bothers me but I still go. There are places wind and cold tend to concentrate turkeys if you know where to look.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

PALongspur

I'm only going to get so many springs, and so many days during each of those. If the season is open, I'm going.

Happy

Downpour and windy= go to work.
Intermittent showers= hunt

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Zobo

Unlike water fowling, there's really no benefit to turkey hunting in the rain and wind. The only advantage I can think of is less competition on inclement days. I do agree that going right after a storm, especially if the sun come out is good time to go.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

runngun

I can and will hunt in any weather except for FOG! We can get some very thick fog during turkey season. 
I was hunting a few years ago and I could clearly see and hear 5 tornadoes around me! Shot a Longbeard and then I got out of there!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Marc

Rain and/or lightening...  Wind is no fun either.

I will still hunt on a rainy day, and still hunt on a windy day....  Lightening I am out...  Had a pretty scary day a few years ago, in which lightening hit the tree I was sitting under, and that was it for me.

I am a duck hunter, and am used to incliment weather, and have good gear for it.  But when the weather is bad enough to drastically reduce my chances of killing a bird while simultaneously being uncomfortable to be in, I will take a pass these days.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Swamp_870

Anything but bad lightning or tornados. If I see a severe t-storm on the radar I'll hunt close to the truck and watch the radar.

A mild thunderstorm can be really cool if you're on a hot one that will gobble at thunder.

It seems like a fast moving storm just makes them pause what they are doing altogether. A lot of times when the weather breaks they will turn it on and start acting stupid to make up for lost time.

Sir-diealot

I'm not to keen on sitting in a lightning storm holding onto a piece of metal and leaning against a tree, that is my one sure "Time to leave" scenario.

Beyond that it all depends on what my body is telling me to do.

I love Winter so the snow is not something that bothers me so long as I can safely get in and out and by that I mainly mean footing. Of course I would also have to be dressed for it.

I would rather not walk across a soaking wet plowed field, I do not have the ankles, knees or back for it anymore and to be honest always had a problem with that anyway.

Before my last accident I hunting sitting next to trees so if it was not raining to awful hard or it was really warm anyway I would stick it out, these days I am in a waterproof blind so the rain does not bother me. It also helps with the aforementioned snow.

So other than that so long as my body will let me I try to stay, though these days I may not shoot a turkey with a gun, I just shoot it with my camera, not to say I would not take a turkey, I just have to be sure my body will let me clean it before I shoot it or it is just a film bird.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

High plains drifter

I normally don't hunt in bad weather. I have gotten a few after snow squalls. I like to hunt nice weather.