OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What is your tolerance level for the weather

Started by King Cobra, March 28, 2024, 06:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Cobra

Rain, snow, wind, and temperature all play a role in the quality of the hunt. Where do you draw the line?
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

jdl80

I skipped going today, it's 30mph and thunderstorms where I'm at.

Yoder409

I hunt turkeys because it's fun.  When the weather makes it STOP being fun..........time for breakfast......or to sleep in.

Spent the first 4 days of last year's season wearing my Arctic Shield and 1200 gram Rutmaster boots.  Spent  good bit of that time in a blind, out of the rain, snow and wind.  Blinds (which I do not much care for) have kept me hunting some days I would have not been.  But, I figure it's better to sit and look out the window of a blind on a crappy day than to sit on the couch and look out the window on a crappy day.

Shot my first bird last year during a LOUSY snow squall.  I was NOT in the blind.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tom007

I don't mind cold, played ice hockey for over 40 years. I like hunting misty/drizzle, birds seem active these days. Heavy rain, I'll sit in my Rhino blind on a clear-cut. Unless the wind is howling, I'm out there.....
"Solo hunter"

ScottTaulbee

I don't draw the line, I get a very short time a year to hunt 23 days here, of those days I typically get less than 7 I get to hunt. And the turkeys are there regardless of weather. If I'm not at work, and it's turkey season, I'm turkey hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brillo

The older I get, the less I tolerate.  I am also on a blood thinner.  Hard all day rain and cold.  I'm not going.  Snow and cold is fine.  I fish steelhead all winter in Michigan but I am able to move around in the boat.  High wind keeps me from either.

bbcoach

I've hunted these birds in snow, cold and perfect weather.  I normally won't do rain unless it is very light but I will watch the radar and I will be in open areas as soon as the rain passes to catch them drying out.

Greg Massey

I've hunted cold weather, which in my opinion, that's not so bad.  Real windy days, pouring rain, lightning. fog and bad humidity i don't care for either. So i usually have a backup plan for some of these weather conditions... But pouring rain /  lightning is something i will wait out until conditions are better.

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 28, 2024, 08:02:06 AM
I've hunted cold weather, which in my opinion, that's not so bad.  Real windy days, pouring rain, lightning. fog and bad humidity i don't care for either. So i usually have a backup plan for some of these weather conditions... But pouring rain /  lightning is something i will wait out until conditions are better.

Good point on lightning. No way in woods with bolts flying! Wait this out for sure!
"Solo hunter"

CALLM2U

I don't mind the cold, but pouring rain will make me skip.  I turkey hunt for enjoyment, when it's miserable weather, I'm not having fun. 

I will say, I've killed most of my biggest deer in nasty weather. 

silvestris

I don't enjoy hunting in inclement weather, so I don't.  About an hour after it quits, I go.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Jfowler82

I won't hunt in pouring rain but I'll be waiting in the truck till it lets up !

bpsmag1026

If I am off work and season is in I go no matter what the weather is.

Turkeybutt

I dislike hunting in the pouring rain and most likely wont leave the house. If I'm already in the woods and it starts I'll hunker down and wait it out. If its calling for rain I take a camo tree stand umbrella in my pack and if need be I sit under it.

jhoward11

Real windy and down pours...nope. Other than that I'm in.