Previous topic - Next topic

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Terry

Quote from: WVhuntEER on March 12, 2024, 09:57:40 AM
Quote from: Terry on March 12, 2024, 09:29:22 AM
Quote from: 10th Legionaire on March 12, 2024, 09:18:00 AM
I bought one as well.

I have loaded it up with about everything I would typically carry in the woods; three pot calls&strikers, box call, two mouth calls, three extra shells, pocket knife, water bottle and two locator calls. If I carried food to the field it would only be a couple power bars and a snack bag of trail mix.

I think it carries well and I have room to spare.

Just as an add, my headnet is part of my hat and I wear my gloves not carry them.
Doesn't flop or bounce around??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I get a chance I will load it down and test it out for you.
Thanks!

10th Legionaire

I bought one as well.

I have loaded it up with about everything I would typically carry in the woods; three pot calls&strikers, box call, two mouth calls, three extra shells, pocket knife, water bottle and two locator calls. If I carried food to the field it would only be a couple power bars and a snack bag of trail mix.

Just as an add, my headnet is part of my hat and I wear my gloves not carry them.

I loaded it up as described in my above post and took it on a three mile woods hike this morning. I live in  southcentral Indiana where we have a fair amount of hills and hollers.

Not gonna lie it did bounce when double timing it. Not horribly, but I knew it was back there. Not as bad as some vests I've hunted in the past though. Just walking/sneaking along it was quite stable and carried well.

First impression is very favorable.

Less is more

10th Legionaire

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 12, 2024, 10:33:35 AM
Could you use clip on suspenders to help keep it up? If needed ..

Strangely enough I found a pair of old school Original Treebark suspenders (like from the late '80's) the other day in a hunting box I hadn't been in in a while.

I tried them on the belt and if a guy were inclined he certainly could use suspenders on this rig.
Less is more

Terry

Quote from: 10th Legionaire on March 19, 2024, 01:44:35 PM
I bought one as well.

I loaded it up as described in my above post and took it on a three mile woods hike this morning. I live in  southcentral Indiana where we have a fair amount of hills and hollers.

Not gonna lie it did bounce when double timing it. Not horribly, but I knew it was back there. Not as bad as some vests I've hunted in the past though. Just walking/sneaking along it was quite stable and carried well.

First impression is very favorable.
I really appreciate the real world review! I would think the width of the waist band would keep it fairly stable.

Bill

On the topic of tool belt type gear, I won one of these recently in the bucket raffle at a fundraising banquet.

https://alpsoutdoorz.com/sportsman-s-belt.html

I'm thinking with the along with a Glenda Green tube seat (and maybe suspenders?) it might be the ticket for going light.

Gooserbat

The idea is not new, there's been other waist packs before (Beard Buster had one) anyway since the advent of the turkey vest the concept of carrying everything we can and doing it lighter has been explored.  Personally I think a chest pack is better for two reasons.  One when you sit down its right there for easy access and second you can wear it when you sit down.  With that larg pocket in the back this waist pack is in accessable unless you take it off. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

10th Legionaire

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 27, 2024, 09:06:49 AM
The idea is not new, there's been other waist packs before (Beard Buster had one) anyway since the advent of the turkey vest the concept of carrying everything we can and doing it lighter has been explored.  Personally I think a chest pack is better for two reasons.  One when you sit down its right there for easy access and second you can wear it when you sit down.  With that larg pocket in the back this waist pack is in accessable unless you take it off.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the Sitka or Alps design but, in my very limited non hunting testing the Sitka one will spin into my lap and work just fine. For me YMMV.
Less is more

Meyerkbw

I have a update on this. I went ahead and ordered it knowing I could return the belt within 30 days. I'll be keeping it though. I'm pretty impressed for what it's designed to do.

It's meant to be a minimalist pack. If you plan to really load it down with lots of gear, your probably better off with a vest. However, if you hunt with a couple pot calls, 2-3 strikers and a box or two, it's great! The belt is extremely wide and comfortable making it really stable. You could also put a trumpet in one of the striker sleeves. Theres ample room for diaphrams and or a few locator calls. The water bottle holder is a nice touch. It has snap buckles too so it can easlily be removed if you don't want that.

As for the box call fit which was my primary concern, a 11 inch halloran longbox fits perfect and closes completely. I also plan to run a 12 inch Watkins long box that will work. The flap doesn't quite close using the magnets, but very close. I can then secure it with the bungee strap though which will work just fine fine. Anything larger than 12 inches would be a stretch. You could also put a longbox up to 12 inches in the middle zippered pouch on the top. The last 1/2inch of the paddle handle would stick out though.

As for loading it up and adding suspenders, you might be able to, but again I think your better off with the vest. The idea of the pack is that once you sit down, you spin the pack around so the compartments are in your lap giving you easy access to everything. If you add suspenders, you'd need to take it off at that point to reach anything kind of removing any advantage you gained from not using a vest.

I hope this helps others considering the pack. No question it's a bit pricey, but it is of really high quality and fits a niche nicely.

dan

Quote from: Meyerkbw on March 27, 2024, 12:08:52 PM
   I have a update on this. I went ahead and ordered it knowing I could return the belt within 30 days. I'll be keeping it though. I'm pretty impressed for what it's designed to do.

It's meant to be a minimalist pack. If you plan to really load it down with lots of gear, your probably better off with a vest. However, if you hunt with a couple pot calls, 2-3 strikers and a box or two, it's great! The belt is extremely wide and comfortable making it really stable. You could also put a trumpet in one of the striker sleeves. Theres ample room for diaphrams and or a few locator calls. The water bottle holder is a nice touch. It has snap buckles too so it can easlily be removed if you don't want that.

As for the box call fit which was my primary concern, a 11 inch halloran longbox fits perfect and closes completely. I also plan to run a 12 inch Watkins long box that will work. The flap doesn't quite close using the magnets, but very close. I can then secure it with the bungee strap though which will work just fine fine. Anything larger than 12 inches would be a stretch. You could also put a longbox up to 12 inches in the middle zippered pouch on the top. The last 1/2inch of the paddle handle would stick out though.

As for loading it up and adding suspenders, you might be able to, but again I think your better off with the vest. The idea of the pack is that once you sit down, you spin the pack around so the compartments are in your lap giving you easy access to everything. If you add suspenders, you'd need to take it off at that point to reach anything kind of removing any advantage you gained from not using a vest.

I hope this helps others considering the pack. No question it's a bit pricey, but it is of really high quality and fits a niche nicely.
Thanks for the updates. Theses are definitely temping.

Please let us know how it goes after some more time with it.