OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question for the deer hunters

Started by RutnNStrutn, March 27, 2024, 05:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HillclimberWV

I have seen more bucks with horns still on this year as well. Theres still red oak acorns around in wv an pa where i have been scouting. Couple that with the easy winter we've had
Is my theory as to why.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Cowboy

They are holding them longer in my area as well. I saw a buck with one horn day before yesterday.  About a week ago, wife saw 3 bucks. All 3 had both sides!

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Kylongspur88

Some will keep antlers till the velvet pushes them off. Sometimes if a bucks been injured or is very old they might not drop and I've heard antlered does don't drop

Manager8

Badger

Yes Sir.  A few years back I was checking the area around our lease and saw 3 bucks in 2 days.  One really nice buck, but one buck had one side off and this was end of March in OH.

dustyhat

I Still some packing as of today in Ky.

ChesterCopperpot

Young eight point about a week ago in the North Carolina mountains. But they do tend to hold longer here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cgarner1

Most of the time the younger deer will hold on to their antlers a lot longer that mature bucks will. I had a guy tell me one time that the mature deer shed their horns soon as they are done breeding for the year and the testosterone drops. I don't know if there is any truth to that or not but I've noticed that the milder the winter, it seems like the earlier the mature deer shed

Marc

I know very little about deer...  If they drop later, do they start growing later as well?  I thought that the new antlers growing in pushed the old ones out?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

bwhana

We had a 3.5 yr old 8 point carrying antlers in the last week of April last year with another buck that had shed and already had buds starting in the same trail cam pic.  No obvious reason for the difference given the same food sources and location.