OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question for the deer hunters

Started by RutnNStrutn, March 27, 2024, 05:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

I live out in the country in Tennessee and have critters on my place. There are a couple of young bucks, a 4 and a 5 point, that have been coming in since last fall. These guys still haven't lost the antlers yet. It's almost April, and they're the only hard horned bucks around!! To my experience bucks generally lose their antlers around the end of February. So here's the question, has anyone seen bucks still carrying their antlers this late before?  ???

Happy

Yes. I have seen bucks with antlers while turkey hunting and our seasons typically don't open till mid-April.

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Happy on March 27, 2024, 05:53:44 PM
Yes. I have seen bucks with antlers while turkey hunting and our seasons typically don't open till mid-April.

I've only seen it a couple of times. Thought it was just an anomaly.

Happy

I would say it is a little unusual. Like hair, some just seem to be able to hold on to it a little longer than others.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Turkeybutt

Seen one the other day here in Penna. Had 5 on one side and dropped or lost the other set sometime earlier in the year.

Tom007

Weird, here in NJ 2 weeks ago, (2) 8 point bucks still have their horns....
"Solo hunter"

Yoder409

Yep.   

Some of the bucks here will shed in early December.  And then I've seen them carrying into early April.  It's just individual to the animal.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

g8rvet

Odd you ask this.  Saw a 3 on one side buck last night on the way home.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

hipp2412

I saw 3 different bucks with antlers last week in PA. We were out shed hunting last weekend and we only found 2. We used a shed dog for extra help and still only found 2.
Hipp

RutnNStrutn

Interesting. Thanks for the replies fellas. :icon_thumright:

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

J-Shaped

Most of TN had an incredible acorn crop last fall, which, combined with a relatively mild winter, had bucks coming through winter in really good shape. It's not uncommon at all for me to see bucks into April still carrying their antlers, but this year there seems to be a whole lot of them still carrying, more than usual.

I've seen our deer still chasing does in March too, so you never know.

runngun

Saw a big buck (for our area) Sunday night and he still had both sides. Usually already shed.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

dzsmith

Most are losing or have lost them by now where I live . But February would be pretty early. March is about right.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Gooserbat

I've seen them drop as early as the week between Christmas and New Year's and I've seen them still have them in April.  I'm not going to pretend to know why.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

squidd

Photo of last buck with horns was taken 18MAR; on a lease in GA