turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decoy Setup

Started by macmcdaniel, March 01, 2024, 11:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macmcdaniel

Currently running an Avian X Jake & Upright Hen. Any suggestions as to if I should replace the upright hen with a feeder or breeder hen? My setup was hit or miss last year, I prefer to only run dekes in a field.

bbcoach

WVhuntEER

Quote from: macmcdaniel on March 01, 2024, 11:45:02 AM
Currently running an Avian X Jake & Upright Hen. Any suggestions as to if I should replace the upright hen with a feeder or breeder hen? My setup was hit or miss last year, I prefer to only run dekes in a field.
I run the same setup as you. When hunting the fields place the decoys on the edges. Gobblers will be more likely to commit than coming out all the way in the open. That's my experience anyway. Good luck. ????????????

Notsoyoungturk

For fields, I will start the season using a Avian X Jake, Feeder and Breeder.  Sometimes, I will just use the Jake over the breeder.  If they get skittish, I will sometimes just go with the hen.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

sbbow

Quote from: Notsoyoungturk on March 01, 2024, 02:27:34 PM
For fields, I will start the season using a Avian X Jake, Feeder and Breeder.  Sometimes, I will just use the Jake over the breeder.  If they get skittish, I will sometimes just go with the hen.
X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High plains drifter

I use one hen,and I set it 25 yards out.I set it so it can be seen,out in the open.Then I hide in the brush.I hide real well.I don't believe in sitting up against a tree.I have hidden behind a tree,standing up.The key is, to staying the cover.Dont go out in the open.

Moore

If I use my decoys I run my avian x breeder decoy laying down with my quarter strut Jake behind her. This setup has worked for me, especially when I was using my bow.
[

Brinkcalls

You should get a lay down hen. I've had great luck with that and a Jake or strutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelmo1

Run and gun I carry a Jake decoy. Field set ups with a " client", I play the spot and weather. I like a Jake and breeding hen with one more hen depending on the situation. I am going to try a small flock set up this year on opening day with the wife. Z