OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need A New Vest

Started by Tnandy, March 26, 2024, 01:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tnandy

I need advice on the best lightweight, with a descent or good seat, Turkey Vest, etc... ? Some of the   places I hunt involve a lot of walking and I have to cut down on my big Primos rocker vest. I love it but not for long walks and carrying the essentials. Somebody point me in the right direction

Big Jeremy

Sounds like you want a Glenda Green satchel and innertube seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Tnandy on March 26, 2024, 01:34:09 PM
I need advice on the best lightweight, with a descent or good seat, Turkey Vest, etc... ? Some of the   places I hunt involve a lot of walking and I have to cut down on my big Primos rocker vest. I love it but not for long walks and carrying the essentials. Somebody point me in the right direction
I've got a brand new FA vest for sale for 20$ less than you'll find one that would be perfect for that. It's my favorite vest that has been released lately. Only reason I'm selling it is because I got a deal on a fox vest and in my opinion the fox vest is the finest that's ever been made. I also have a few others listed over in the classifieds, I don't need them anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nyhunter

Alps Longspur Deluxe, Sitka  . If you're looking for something more economical look at the Rodgers sporting goods vest,

bbcoach

A half dozen vests are available in the Misc. Classifieds.  I was looking at the Will Primos Signature.  Looks like a Great layout and I believe the seat is 3 inches thick.  My 2 cents.

Marc

Are you tall and fat, or short and skinny?

I am short and skinny (working on getting more fat)...  Tried a number of vests at the local Sportsman's Wherehouse...  Everything fits me like a dress.  Went with the the Cabela's Tatr' and still have it.

Your preference on vest will somewhat very depending on your body size/shape, especially if you fall outside of average...

One thing I have found that duck hunters and turkey hunters seem to have in common is that most are big and fat.  I have never found clothing in the classifieds that fits me...  I am a medium or large, which is generally unheard apparently for most duck or turkey hunters???  Most clothing items or XXL or XXXL apparently???
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

fmf

I can't overstress how much I like the Sitka vest.  I wasn't a Sitka guy at all before I bought it, and honestly didn't want to like it.  Now I'm considering buying a spare in case they discontinue it or something.

Joneshunter

Nomad has a vest just called the nomad turkey vest it seems to have a pretty lightweight design and with my favorite camo og real tree advantage.. personally haven't tried it I have an alpz grand slams it's real nice but it is a little bulky I like the room though

jdl80

I just went lumbar pack and bino harness. I'll never wear my vest again. Glenda green seat is on the way. I went seatless my first 5 hunts this season, I'm not as tough as I think I am...

bbcoach

Quote from: jdl80 on March 26, 2024, 05:48:48 PM
I just went lumbar pack and bino harness. I'll never wear my vest again. Glenda green seat is on the way. I went seatless my first 5 hunts this season, I'm not as tough as I think I am...
AMEN!  Comfort = Patience when it comes to turkey hunting.

Tom007

Quote from: fmf on March 26, 2024, 04:16:57 PM
I can't overstress how much I like the Sitka vest.  I wasn't a Sitka guy at all before I bought it, and honestly didn't want to like it.  Now I'm considering buying a spare in case they discontinue it or something.

X 100. This is the best vest I've had yet. Sitka ingenuity, quality, and over-all attention to detail makes this a solid choice.......
"Solo hunter"

Tnandy

Appreciate all the input. I am 5'10 and around 230. (Solid, Lol). I am looking at something with thin shoulder straps and not as hot. That satchel may be what I need, not 100% sure. Sure appreciate the help y'all have offered. Anyone think of anything else , let me know. I will check out the classifieds better.

mdmitchell

Quote from: Marc on March 26, 2024, 03:53:42 PM
Are you tall and fat, or short and skinny?

I am short and skinny (working on getting more fat)...  Tried a number of vests at the local Sportsman's Wherehouse...  Everything fits me like a dress.  Went with the the Cabela's Tatr' and still have it.

Your preference on vest will somewhat very depending on your body size/shape, especially if you fall outside of average...

One thing I have found that duck hunters and turkey hunters seem to have in common is that most are big and fat.  I have never found clothing in the classifieds that fits me...  I am a medium or large, which is generally unheard apparently for most duck or turkey hunters???  Most clothing items or XXL or XXXL apparently???
Speak for yourself

albrubacker

For a seat, you can't beat a Glenda Green tube! Only ever owned 2 vest, current one is from Midway, it is lightweight. The cushion that was on it was less than desirable but easily removed.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

WVhuntEER

Quote from: fmf on March 26, 2024, 04:16:57 PM
I agree! Sitka is awesome! I actually have the vest and the tool belt. Got the tool belt as a gift and I bought the vest. The vest is awesome and very well thought out. I ran the Tactical Tatr' for over a decade and decided to upgrade. It's far sleeker and my favorite I've ever tried.