OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DON'T PARK HERE!!

Started by quavers59, March 07, 2024, 07:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylongspur88

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 26, 2024, 10:10:43 AM
Quote from: Kylongspur88 on March 26, 2024, 07:55:18 AM
Quote from: Hook hanger on March 25, 2024, 04:28:42 PM
I wasn't even going to make a comment about this but it amazes me the comments I read. A true turkey  hunter hunting his home state should have a few different private  farms to hunt. When I run into guys that say all I have to hunt is public ground I truly wonder why that is.
In the early 2000s I could lock in 5 or 6 places just by knocking on doors and asking politely. Those days are long gone. Most of the old timers who'd let you hunt are either dead or sold their land to people who just aren't willing to let others hunt. In addition to land changing hands and attitudes changing hunting has become a big business in my state. A lot of the prime spots are now high dollar leases. There's a certain leasing company in my area that has gobbled up thousands of acres where they sell hunts to people who are willing to pay an arm and a leg. A guy working to keep a house over his head and feed his family may not be able or willing to dish out thousands of dollars just to hunt turkeys the few weekends he has free. Basically, around my area if you or your family doesn't already have land you can hunt or your not willing to pay top dollar for a lease your stuck with public land. Just for comparison, country club and greens fees are cheaper than most leases in my area. I do think this trend will subside. People are going to get fed up with the crowds and the hassle and hang it up.
You must not be far from me. It's the same here, hardly anyone will let you hunt, and I've noticed a lot of animal rights folks with land lately. And I bet I have a very good idea of what outfit you're talking about. I leased a farm once. 80 acres, leased it for turkey season only. 400$ thought I got a deal. I hunted it a handful of times, my dad hunted it a couple dozen times while I was working. We saw one hen on the whole place. I won't lease another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm in the Lexington area. I lost a great deer hunting spot to some folks from California who raise alpacas and like to walk around in the buff [not worth seeing]. I don't know how they deal with the ticks and chiggers. $40 dollars an acre for a lease is not uncommon. 200 acres would run you $8k. By the time you get enough guys to go in on it with you to get the cost down you might as well just hunt public land

ruination

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on March 26, 2024, 11:05:28 AM
I wasn't even going to make a comment about this but it amazes me the comments I read. A true turkey  hunter hunting his home state should have a few different private  farms to hunt. When I run into guys that say all I have to hunt is public ground I truly wonder why that is.
In the early 2000s I could lock in 5 or 6 places just by knocking on doors and asking politely. Those days are long gone. Most of the old timers who'd let you hunt are either dead or sold their land to people who just aren't willing to let others hunt. In addition to land changing hands and attitudes changing hunting has become a big business in my state. A lot of the prime spots are now high dollar leases. There's a certain leasing company in my area that has gobbled up thousands of acres where they sell hunts to people who are willing to pay an arm and a leg. A guy working to keep a house over his head and feed his family may not be able or willing to dish out thousands of dollars just to hunt turkeys the few weekends he has free. Basically, around my area if you or your family doesn't already have land you can hunt or your not willing to pay top dollar for a lease your stuck with public land. Just for comparison, country club and greens fees are cheaper than most leases in my area. I do think this trend will subside. People are going to get fed up with the crowds and the hassle and hang it up.
You must not be far from me. It's the same here, hardly anyone will let you hunt, and I've noticed a lot of animal rights folks with land lately. And I bet I have a very good idea of what outfit you're talking about. I leased a farm once. 80 acres, leased it for turkey season only. 400$ thought I got a deal. I hunted it a handful of times, my dad hunted it a couple dozen times while I was working. We saw one hen on the whole place. I won't lease another.

I'm in the Lexington area. I lost a great deer hunting spot to some folks from California who raise alpacas and like to walk around in the buff [not worth seeing]. I don't know how they deal with the ticks and chiggers. $40 dollars an acre for a lease is not uncommon. 200 acres would run you $8k. By the time you get enough guys to go in on it with you to get the cost down you might as well just hunt public land

Shoot, $40 an acre is cheap for around here if it has waterfowl, which a lot of it does.  I have seen 50 acres deer and turkey leases approach $10k.  Why would anyone give a handshake deal when there is that much money to be made?

It's not even so much that they get hunted for Turkey, it's just the rights are usually gone for deer.

You should try having D.C. right down the road.
.410 Favors the Bold

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on March 26, 2024, 11:05:28 AM

I'm about 20 minutes down the road from Lexington myself

eggshell

When I bought my place I was surrounded by old landowners. All that acreage amounted to somewhere in the neighborhood of 1400 acres plus what I own. I could hunt any of it any day I wanted with their blessing. I always shared game, berries and mushrooms with all them and it was a great place to live. Now all those landowners are dead and heirs have the land (the younger generation) and every single acre of it is leased by Out of state hunters that pay huge prices for it and no one better even come close to the line. That would be fine, but they systematically trespass and encroach on our land and all adjoining land. I got tired of asking nicely, now I just call the sheriff or game warden. They move their signs deeper across boundaries every year, yeah posting other peoples property. I had them try to run my friends off my property, that did not end well for the OOS leasers. Some of them call me the old Prick at the bottom of the hill, but I was here before they were born, deal with it. Thankfully most of my family refuses to lease our lands and I have plenty to hunt, but it's problem. The days of old england and the kings game are coming

turkey stew

Here is the real problem. Hunters are'nt satified with 1 gobbler per year. It is fill my tags in my state and travel to every state I can to shoot limits. This type of pressure will eventually cause more restrictions or possible closers! It already is starting to happen. Every state in the future will have limited draws and purchasing preference points. Many people say," This is America. I'll do what I want. It is legal." Have at it, just do'nt whine later.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: turkey stew on March 26, 2024, 12:09:28 PM
Here is the real problem. Hunters are'nt satified with 1 gobbler per year. It is fill my tags in my state and travel to every state I can to shoot limits. This type of pressure will eventually cause more restrictions or possible closers! It already is starting to happen. Every state in the future will have limited draws and purchasing preference points. Many people say," This is America. I'll do what I want. It is legal." Have at it, just do'nt whine later.
I agree. I've self imposed a limit of 1 a couple years ago. I've killed my fair share, probably more than my share. Another set of spurs and a beard in a box don't mean anything to me. It's playing the game with them. For every one I don't kill, that's an opportunity for a kid, or even my kids, to take one