Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Another turkey toy

Started by reflexl, March 26, 2024, 10:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

Some of you know I love hunting with old guns, especialy side by sides. I ran up on one of them I have been hunting for. LC Smith 20 gauge. Full and Modified. Picking it up today. Pretty nice shape. It was used but not abused.

TrackeySauresRex

:drool:

Beautiful, good luck w/her.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

JeffC

Real nice, good luck with it. 1st gun I was given was my grandfathers SxS 12g, single trigger, unfortunately my father cut stock for me, still have. Dont remember if its a Fox / L.C. Smith or just L.C. Smith. 
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

reflexl

Thanks guys. I really enjoy hunting with antiques. Here are a couple you might like.

reflexl

Quote from: JeffC on March 26, 2024, 11:58:22 AM
Real nice, good luck with it. 1st gun I was given was my grandfathers SxS 12g, single trigger, unfortunately my father cut stock for me, still have. Dont remember if its a Fox / L.C. Smith or just L.C. Smith.

Might be worth re-stocking it. Keep the stock your dad cut for you.

crow

Nice pickup Reflex, should be good medicine for trophy sabbaticals.  Keep us posted on load/pattern details

crow

Quote from: JeffC on March 26, 2024, 11:58:22 AM
JiffyPop, man i would lenghten that stock back out with rubber/wood spacers, cover it up with a leather reciol type stock cover and put that old gun back to work in the woods

JeffC

been awhile since I looked at it, think there was a crack in stock also, know it weighed a ton..was a big kid, but what a difference with the 20g I carry now. Too much sentimental value, been known to fall down once in awhile. Will remain a safe queen.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

reflexl

This new one is a field grade featherweight. Its going to be a joy to carry. I might get to pattern it this weekend.

wchadw

Quote from: reflexl on March 26, 2024, 04:08:25 PM
This new one is a field grade featherweight. Its going to be a joy to carry. I might get to pattern it this weekend.
Just out of curiosity what shells do you shoot out of them? I have an Ithaca 37 fixed full that I used to shoot 4s out of. It takes 2 3/4 inch shells. Thinking about getting it out of safe and shooting lead pheasant loads out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vintage

reflexl

Quote from: wchadw on March 26, 2024, 04:27:23 PM
Quote from: reflexl on March 26, 2024, 04:08:25 PM
Just out of curiosity what shells do you shoot out of them? I have an Ithaca 37 fixed full that I used to shoot 4s out of. It takes 2 3/4 inch shells. Thinking about getting it out of safe and shooting lead pheasant loads out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been shooting #6 2 3/4" Rio shells from them with good results. In some of them I have shot Fiochi Golden pheasant and at 30 yards they pole axe birds. Most of the time my birds are in close when I shoot. My prefered way to hunt is to try to call them up in my lap. If I am successful these old guns are at no disadvantage. Its just my thing. I want them close enough to see them blink. It gets my blood pumping.

reflexl

reflexl

Finally got to date it. 1911 so 113 years old. That will go perfect with my over 100 year old Gibson call.