turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best material for Turkey Camo

Started by King Cobra, March 26, 2024, 09:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Cobra

I personally try to stick with 100% cotton. I have found that other material and blends sometimes have a sheen to them that could potentially make you stand out in the Turkey woods. What do you think?
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

kytrkyhntr

I agree with you, I'm usually wearing all cotton. I do own a pair of lightweight ol Tom pants and a leaf jacket for days where it's just too hot. I try to keep myself in cotton with no shine
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Tom007

Ken. Good Thread. I use all different clothing made of different material. In my case, I wear Shannon's Bug Tamer and North Mountain leafy wear jackets, so my under garment materials are not visible. But you are correct, I would think cotton is the least visible due to the lack of sheen or shiny finish.....
"Solo hunter"

GobbleNut

In addition to avoiding camo fabrics that I think are going to have a sheen or otherwise stand out unnaturally in the place I am hunting, my other concern is the noise factor in fabrics.  Some fabrics are just too noisy.  Fabrics composed of Nylon are a great example.  Seems like every move you make wearing Nylon material sounds like a cat scratching on glass. 

A certain vest I have fits every need I want in a vest.  However, the darn thing is made of Nylon and just makes a racket whenever you move.  Every year I get it out, apparently thinking somehow the fabric has changed while it sat in the closet for a year.  After all these years, it is still the same...and ends up back in the closet again.  ...Funny how that works...   ;D :D

Tom007

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 26, 2024, 09:28:42 AM
In addition to avoiding camo fabrics that I think are going to have a sheen or otherwise stand out unnaturally in the place I am hunting, my other concern is the noise factor in fabrics.  Some fabrics are just too noisy.  Fabrics composed of Nylon are a great example.  Seems like every move you make wearing Nylon material sounds like a cat scratching on glass. 

A certain vest I have fits every need I want in a vest.  However, the darn thing is made of Nylon and just makes a racket whenever you move.  Every year I get it out, apparently thinking somehow the fabric has changed while it sat in the closet for a year.  After all these years, it is still the same...and ends up back in the closet again.  ...Funny how that works...   ;D :D

Great point here.......
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Just mix match camo cotton mostly. I agree with Gobblenut, i look for stuff that doesn't make noise, including rain suits ..etc

Gooserbat

If Cabela's/Bass pro would offer their microtex in a lightweight version as they once did...
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ScottTaulbee

Cotton for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

King Cobra

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 26, 2024, 09:33:56 AM
Just mix match camo cotton mostly. I agree with Gobblenut, i look for stuff that doesn't make noise, including rain suits ..etc

I agree with the mix and match and the more contrast the better matching the environment you are in.
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

Treerooster

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 26, 2024, 09:28:42 AM

Fabric type is more important than any camo pattern to me. Cotton can be noisy too...depends. Fleece and wool are pretty quiet. Dragging or scratching your finger nail across the fabric can tell you how noisy it might be against brush.

I wear camo but also wear some stuff with just earth tones. Visually wearing one camo pattern all over accentuates the blob affect. You look like a human form from a distance. Wearing some solid colors with broken colored clothes helps break up the human form.

Swamp_870

Tnandy

I agree. I got away from any shiny stuff. Not sure what it looks like through their eyes but if it's anything like mine, too visible in the least bit of sun, which I try to avoid sitting in anyhow. I hunt some limestone country and got me a pair of thin Nomad pants (not sure the name of them) but they work great. Everywhere else, I am wearing Ol Tom pants and super thin button up shirt. Pretty much wear the Ol Tom thin shirt all the time. I don't worry about matching up great lol, I am not headed to a beauty pageant. Nothing wrong with it because sometimes I do match up.

Ihuntoldschool

Good question. I think sitting still is the important thing.

I agree about avoiding sunlight .
Not sure how turkeys feel about shiny or sheen.
If it was much of factor I would think old timers would have really struggled with their shiny guns. They didn't.

I'd also think more people would be struggling with red dot glowing.   They're not. 

Happy

My favorite right now are the banded technical turkey pants. I like the water-resistant material in the butt and the fact that they actually fit right. I'm not a huge fan of the rest of the material on the pants, although they have been durable. If these were made with something like a saddle cloth material, then I would be happier. Cotton has been my favorite for years, but I always blow the crotch out of them in short order. If someone actually made a good, heavy-duty cotton pant with heavy duty stitching and a canvas like material in the butt/crotch area and it actually fit right. I would be thrilled. That would be something i would pay some money for. I am going to be trying the ol Tom Pants some this year, but when I compare them beside the banded, I feel they aren't as good. That and the rear on the ol Tom's definitely isn't water resistant.

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club