turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opinion

Started by Zach.Hannigan, March 25, 2024, 09:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

The gobbling most likely won't pick up until after peak breading and the alpha gobblers start waking up knowing they didn't go to sleep with any hens nearby.

Why don't the subordinate/satellites gobble? Because they afraid of a whooping. They need to know where the boss is at and if he ain't gobbling they ain't knowing. 

I hunted a roost early season last year 2 days In a row. 1st day the flock was there. Gobbling was decent on the roost but when the hens showed up the gobbling stopped for the day. Next morning had me near the same roost. Only 1 gobbler and he gobbled but would not answer my calling. I kept the calling to a minimum because I believed I was between him and where he wanted to go. A pasture where the flock went the day before. He gobbled maybe 8 times on the roost from about 150 yds away so I knew he could hear my calling but never responded.

After fly down he gobbled once under the roost. I thought cool he gonna come right down here. Nope he went to the next little finger ridge over to my right and gobbled once. I thought he was bugging out so I called a little more aggressively no response. The next 2 gobbles came from the little finger ridge to my left a little deeper into the woods. Again I thought he was bugging out. I call some more with no response and got after him because I didn't want to lose him. I circled wide left to get in front of him and messed around up in there for about an hour only to come slinking back out with my tail between my legs. Never heard him again

What did happen is when I came out, he was there not 25 yds from where I originally called to him slinking away from just inside the pasture.

He knew a hen was there. He knew he was going to go check her out. What he didn't know was where the rest of the flock was. His gobbling was an effort to locate the flock and the boss. I didn't want it to draw attention to himself by gobbling to my calling.

When he was satisfied the coast was clear he came down to give the his little lady a visit but I had already left.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

GobbleNut

Keep us updated, Zach.  I think all of us are interested in knowing how things work out for you.   :icon_thumright:

Zach.Hannigan

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 26, 2024, 09:37:22 AM
Keep us updated, Zach.  I think all of us are interested in knowing how things work out for you.   :icon_thumright:

Same spot this morning didn't see anything till about 945 - 10 o clock I seen a lone hen skirting around the cypress and went up a small slough clucking very quietly. About 9 o clock before the wind start gusting 30 mph, I heard some sirens sounded like they were in the wma well my ears mightve been playing tricks on me but I could've swore I heard a gobble straight ahead kind off where the hen came from. Never heard anything else so I can't be positive it was a gobbler. 1 gobbler has been taken the past 3 days in this wma. Probably about 30 to 40 hunters a day. No gobbling going on on the limb from what other hunters are saying of course they could be lying but with so little harvest recently I think these birds are just kind of in hiding right now. Almost impossible to roost in the evenings cause that's when the wind is kicking the most.  Dang near Gail force. If I have any luck I'll defiantley let yall know.  And if I go home with my tail tucked and a lesson learned I'll do the same.

Dtrkyman

Look for gobbler tracks if there are some sand roads on that place, unfortunately sounds like your going to have to deer hunt them, not sure how big the place is but 30-40 hunters a day probably has those birds scared to death already!

I do get a certain satisfaction out of killing quiet turkeys!

Good luck.