OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opinion

Started by Zach.Hannigan, March 25, 2024, 09:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zach.Hannigan

I'm currently sitting under a pine tree with palmetto surrounding it. Killer set up. I'm in florida on public. This is my 2nd morning. Same spot. First morning I set up here had two hems in front of me amd watched another 4 fly out of their trees. I got them all to cross I. Front of me not a gobbler in sight with them. I also seen them fly out of the tree this morning as well and had some conversation with them. I haven't heard a single gobble since I've been down they are tight-lipped from pressure and the wind is 30 mph gust. In yalls opinion should I deer hunt this spot in hopes that the hens pick up a gobbler amd he runs through here? Surely there's got to be one around somewhere close. I'm setup inbetween where two cypress domes get real skinny and taper together. If you got any experience with this kind of situation please chime in. I got 3 more days to hunt.

capecodmike

I don't have experience with Florida lands.

My only experience is where there's hens there will be a Tom.

Hang in there.  It will happen.

Best.

Zach.Hannigan

Thanks buddy. This is my 3rd spring turkey season and I've never come across that many hens multiple days by themselves.

joey46

Hunted central Florida yesterday.  Lots of hens and suicidal Jake's this year.  Hang in there they seem to be very tight mouthed.  Even more than usual.  Cameras pick up an abundance of coyote.  That will quiet them down.  Good luck   btw - the number of big gobblers our cameras pick up mid day is amazing.  Consider sleeping in and hunting 2pm until sunset.

Tom007

You have hens around. I would sit tight, call every so often. If it's windy, use a long box, or glass pot. They cut the wind pretty good. I would think you may luck out and pull in a gobbler. Good luck!
"Solo hunter"

Prospector

Hmmmm.... A viable option. However, don't be surprised if one day they are not there anymore. Turkeys move on for whatever turkey reason. Or cycle thru periodically. I think you move on in search of a gobbler today and check back .
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Zach.Hannigan

After I sat in my morning spot till about 11 o clock. Of got up and moved into the direction I seen the hens go. It's a small knocked down path inbetween an edge of the cypress and a thick palmetto field. This cypress has water in it and I found gobbler tracks and scat. I believe those hems already have a gobbler with them. And he's skirting around the edge of this cypress while they are coming out to my calling. The way they leave its almost as they hear him drumming in a certain location and know it's time to go. Not sure about all that. But nevertheless I will be going back out about 3 o clock to kind of sit where I think they may walk back to a roost location. And encouraged Ifound that sign and know there is a gobbler in there. Thanks boys for the opinions.

bbcoach

Quote from: Zach.Hannigan on March 25, 2024, 01:55:20 PM
After I sat in my morning spot till about 11 o clock. Of got up and moved into the direction I seen the hens go. It's a small knocked down path inbetween an edge of the cypress and a thick palmetto field. This cypress has water in it and I found gobbler tracks and scat. I believe those hems already have a gobbler with them. And he's skirting around the edge of this cypress while they are coming out to my calling. The way they leave its almost as they hear him drumming in a certain location and know it's time to go. Not sure about all that. But nevertheless I will be going back out about 3 o clock to kind of sit where I think they may walk back to a roost location. And encouraged Ifound that sign and know there is a gobbler in there. Thanks boys for the opinions.
I've hunted Osceola's twice for a week each time and I have to say they are the most finicky and stubborn birds I've hunted (and I have my Slam).  The Osceola's, I've been privileged to kill, will normally gobble on the roost, fly down and gobble a little more, then shut up for the day.  With your latest post, you did the correct thing by scouting and trying to find their travel routes along with where they hang out midday.  I would suggest setting up along their travel routes, unless you can roost them tonight.  Cold calling can work but you will have to be patient.  Good Luck and keep us posted.

Muzzy61

I hunt in central Florida. I was lucky opening morning and had a solo gobbler respond and come to the gun that morning. Hunted 5 out of the next 8 days and very little gobbling . When I did see gobblers they had hens and showed me no interest. A couple of buddy's killed birds and both had them come in silent.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

GobbleNut

Quote from: Zach.Hannigan on March 25, 2024, 10:09:27 AM
Thanks buddy. This is my 3rd spring turkey season and I've never come across that many hens multiple days by themselves.

Your third season turkey hunting and you are hunting Florida Osceolas on public?  You are definitely an optimistic turkey hunter! Good luck!
I personally haven't hunted Osceola's enough to really have a say in the matter, but in my limited experience, if there were gobblers around, they would gobble...at least a little bit on the roost in the morning at daybreak.  With that many hens around,...and assuming the season has been on a while where you are hunting,...my guess is the gobbler(s) that were with those hens are now in somebody's freezer.   ;D
...Hope I am wrong, though, and you find one...   :icon_thumright:

Hook hanger

Tom is probably already dead and possibly  just a jake is leaving the sign. But you won't know unless you lay eye's  on him.

Zach.Hannigan

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 25, 2024, 04:00:04 PM

Your third season turkey hunting and you are hunting Florida Osceolas on public?  You are definitely an optimistic turkey hunter! Good luck!
I personally haven't hunted Osceola's enough to really have a say in the matter, but in my limited experience, if there were gobblers around, they would gobble...at least a little bit on the roost in the morning at daybreak.  With that many hens around,...and assuming the season has been on a while where you are hunting,...my guess is the gobbler(s) that were with those hens are now in somebody's freezer.   ;D
Lol my first season flew all over me and I'm absolutely ate up with second season when I had a little learning under my belt only made it worse.  Not optimistic I came down here knowing full well itss more than likely I'm going home with my tail between my legs but more learning and lessons. I'll never know unless I go. Thanks for the luck buddy.  Best of spring to yourself. 

Zach.Hannigan

I've heard old timers say the opposite. If he knows he's got multiple hens why does he feel the need to gobble. Osceolas are already known as being stingy with their gobbling, unlike the western birds. Also could very well be a jake but maybe I'm not giving a jake enough credit but I would've expected to see him by now after seeing the hens two mornings in a row. But like you said I won't know till I lay eyes on whatever is leaving the sign is fresh sign to found more on my way back to the same spot from taking a sandwich break back at the truck.  So whatever it is is still alive and roaming somewhere in this jungle of Florida.

Marc

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 25, 2024, 04:00:04 PM

I personally haven't hunted Osceola's enough to really have a say in the matter, but in my limited experience, if there were gobblers around, they would gobble...at least a little bit on the roost in the morning at daybreak. With that many hens around,...and assuming the season has been on a while where you are hunting,...my guess is the gobbler(s) that were with those hens are now in somebody's freezer.   ;D

I agree with Gobblenut.  Two days in a row with hens and no gobble, and no eyes on a tom?  I am not spending a third morning there.  I would also be out at dusk looking and listening for birds.

Could be the tom/toms were killed...  Could be hunting pressure is shutting them up?  Could be they are traveling a bit from their roost to meet up with a tom that has not been killed?

If you roost a bird hunt there.  If not, maybe look for one in the direction that the hens are travelling off the roost?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

Get off you phone and hunt!!   LOL   Just kidding. 

I agree to maybe branch out since you are in a time crunch.  If you find no other info this afternoon and no fresh sign, head back there with your plan. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.