OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How Many ??

Started by zelmo1, March 25, 2024, 07:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

I don't know honestly but there's been a few.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

appalachianassassin

Five off the top of my head

eggshell

I have no clue what so ever, but I killed one in 2022 that scored over 75 and I only know that because he was a contest bird for a local buddies contest. I always wrote the stats on pictures so I could go back and score some. In 1984 I killed a non typical that scored 94 and that was because the local NWTF chapter I was active in had a big bird contest. I have killed probably a dozen 2-3 bearded birds that would score pretty well, but thinking of typical gobblers I am guessing 8-10. Last year the local bow shop had a contest and the top three birds all scored over 70. You weren't in the money under 65 (paid 5 places). We have some pretty decent birds here. Like gobblenut said it's all genetics and habitat. The area I have hunted in Ky has some big bodied birds with good spurs but usually 10" or less beards. Genes genes genes

arkrem870

I've not scored a turkey. I've killed some dandies through the years though. I loved them everyone

RutnNStrutn

2 or 3

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

gobblers roost

Quote from: Old Swamper on March 25, 2024, 10:00:45 AM
Of all the gobblers I have called up and killed, I have never once felt the need to "score" one. I'm proud to state that.
Soo true!

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

WildTigerTrout

Only one that went over 70.  He scored an even 71.  Several in the 60's.  The problem here is the spur length. These rugged stone mountains and ridges keep them worn down.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Happy

Don't really know. The majority of the turkeys I kill are ridge running, mountain gobblers. As far as the officials' scores go, if one breaks 60 he is a dandy. 70 point birds are way more abundant down out of the mountains. It's been my experience that they are easier to kill as well. To put a score on a gobbler isn't really giving you his true value. Mr Nunnery had a scoring system that got closer to the point of things in my humble opinion. Every one I have killed has ranked high to me. In short, he scores what you put into him, and that can only be measured by the person walking up to him.

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

zelmo1

This isn't meant to be contest peeps. It's the incoherent babbling of a first time April hunter that is chewing his tongue off in anticipation. The only reason to score a bird is for this contest. I agree that the memory is the trophy. It's hard to believe that there are a few that have shot a lot of birds and haven't scored a one if em.  :OGturkeyhead: Z

WV Flopper

Had to go to my Journal, because some times i do miss represent accidently.

I killed one during journal time at 71.1. It was a stud!

Killed another big un before the journal. 25#, 4 spurs, the beard was over ten but not 11. I truly can't remember. So I have him at 69.5.

Have killed a pile of 20#ers that would never be close to 70.

harleytom

Zelmo, I can't remember ever scoring one in the 70's, several in mid-high 60's. You made me stop and reminisce for a few minutes of hunts past. Thanks for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cannonball

I have killed 2 single beards that went over 70. The one from last year scored 76.01 and the other one was about 6 years ago and it scored 70.25.

Dtrkyman

I've handled hundreds of dead birds, mine and others combined, have never scored one, never will.

To each their own, I didn't realize it was that big a thing, I get enough scoring BS with big game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvestris

I have never scored a turkey; never will.  I am only concerned with a gobbler's personality.  If I have to work my tail off to get one, he ranks high in my memory bank.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: silvestris on March 25, 2024, 07:26:08 PM
I have never scored a turkey; never will.

Of course!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk