North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

That D@-^ property line, But one sweet tree

Started by 3seasons, March 24, 2024, 09:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3seasons

MS 3/26/24

Please excuse the language in the subject header but you all know exactly what I'm talking about. You could have 10,000 acres to hunt and the only bird you'll hear is going to be just across the property line, it never fails. He will be on the 10 acres you can't step foot on.

I'm a turkey hunter and I've said it before in one of my other stories, I don't believe there is a turkey hunter that has ever hunted the spring woods that hasn't crossed a fence or three trying to get a little closer to that bird that just won't quit gobbling nor come to your calls. I quit crossing fences my senior year of high school, once I realized the importance of NOT trespassing. Does it suck listening to birds blow it out across the line on land that you've never seen anyone on, HECK YES it so hard not to just go to him. But I won't. 

Saturday morning is no different, just like the prior Monday I get to my spot real early but this time I go straight to my tree that I killed on. The area I'm in is a big ridge that rolls off into the neighboring club and comes up on us a good ways. As the moon and stars disappear into a cloudy mess just as the day starts to lighten up(then gets darker) I hear a gobble in the distance about 150yds deep on the neighboring property(I'm about 60yds away from the line) Good thing is I hear a bird, bad thing is he's across the line, better news is another bird gobbles behind me deeper on my side. So now I'm sitting between two birds that I know of. The front bird is about 200yds away the one behind me is about 300yds away. I get up for a second to access the situation and decide on what or where I need to be, I'm in a prime spot and just need to let it play out. 

I let the woods lighten up some and hit my copper Madhatter pot and I get a response from both birds. I let a couple minutes go by and hit the call again, the bird across the line gobbles. I set my call down and now I'm re assessing my position.  Should I stay or move or should I move on the tree. The ridge drops off about 35yds to my right and the birds are on that side. But the flat is straight out front and to my left so if I move to the right side of tree if they walk up on the flat I'll be in a bind. I decide to stay put and face the flat of the ridge.  The next gobble is faint but it's because he's on the ground and over the edge of the ridge200yds out.  I hit my call and he gobbles, now I know he knows where I am.  A little time passes and I hit the call just to check him and he double gobbles about half as far as the previous gobble, I set my call down and I get ready. 

The only bad part of my set up is a dang oak that is 5yds in front of me and blocks a good bit of my view in one area. As I'm looking all around that oak in hopes of catching some movement or a white head coming through the dark timber, a deafening silence takes over. I'm just hoping to hear drumming or catch movement or something but there is nothing. Some crows crow in the distance and nothing, all is quiet except for my heart beating. About 4hrs(45seconds) go by and out of nowhere a thunderous gobble comes from my 2o'clock right over the roll of the ridge and behind a downed pine tree. I cut my eyes and don't see him in the faint woods, so I move my head and then he steps up on the flat with me. He's at 30yds walking to my right and he's got a buddy in tow. I can tell the first bird is big but didn't see his beard because of the lack of light and brush, the second bird is a good longbeard. I let the first bird walk behind some saplings and I make my move. Worst case is if they see me I should have a chance at one of them. When he steps out from behind them, I see his beard and then a flash from the end of my barrel. It's all over.

The other bird didn't know what happened and started whipping and doing other things not mentioned to my bird. I sat and said a prayer to the Good Lord and after about 5 min I got up and eased up to within 20yds of the other gobbler before he decided he better leave. It was an unreal hunt that was over 15 minutes after the first gobble about 4 min after he hit the ground. I pulled the trigger at 6:57 on a cloudy morning.  That 1.5mile walk back was pretty nice with the added weight.

I've killed a good many birds from the same ridge but never the same tree. This one sits perfect, I'll have to visit it again for a sit.

Roost 1

zelmo1

You need to write a book. You have a great story teller vibe bro. Z

FullChoke

Great story, Scott. Since that obviously is YOUR TREE, you need to carve your initials into it and start keeping a tally on it with the number of gobblers who have headed off to Heaven from there.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

cannonball

GobbleNut

Great story!  ...And congratulations on your success!   :icon_thumright:

TrackeySauresRex

My Mann! I was in that moment... Great read and Congrats on a good one.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr