OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Checking red dot?

Started by fadetoblack188, March 24, 2024, 12:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fadetoblack188

Do you guys fire a round every year to make sure your red dot is still on ?

Is it me or did turkey ammo prices go through the roof this year !?

BandedSpur

Yes I do, but I handload and reclaim the shot, so it doesn't cost me much at all.

SumToy

True in at 50 with cheap dove load.   Then try it at 40 after you get it the way you like it shoot one at 20.  Make a note then every year you can test at 20 to see if it moved.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Lcmacd 58

Quote from: SumToy on March 24, 2024, 09:41:18 AM
True in at 50 with cheap dove load.   Then try it at 40 after you get it the way you like it shoot one at 20.  Make a note then every year you can test at 20 to see if it moved.

+1

fadetoblack188

Quote from: SumToy on March 24, 2024, 09:41:18 AM

I think I sighted it in for 40. I was hopefully going to shoot 1 round at 40'jist to check

Notsoyoungturk

I do.  It gives me piece of mind that is worth the cost of 1 shell.  I compare it to the number of nights sleep I would lose if I missed or wounded a turkey because it was off.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Dtrkyman

How do you true in at 50 with a dove load?  Pattern would be all over the place.

I always used 10yds for zero and testing, also saw a trajectory chart with TSS and 1140 fps a 40 yard zero is dead on at 10 yds as well.  Not much trajectory of course but dead on is easy to see at 10yds.

My current gun shoots dove loads and TSS the same at 10.

ClayW

I usually just shoot a dove load at 15 yards

Curios to hear more about the above mentioned 50 yard shot

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Dtrkyman

That make a lot more sense!  ^^^

mauser06

I do.  Rather send the TSS down range and make sure than miss birds which are getting tough to come by.