turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gang of thug jakes

Started by Up Hill, March 27, 2024, 11:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Up Hill

Last year my son and I spotted a couple of nice strutters at the end of a cut the eve before.  Sat the following day and never saw them. After not showing the next morning we did a little running g and gunning g. Got them to respond but seemed Tobe pushing them further.  Went back to the blind,a little frustrated, and had gang of 8 jakes come in. They acted like they owned the place too. Hind sight 20/20, now we know why the strutters didn't show. My question is what could we have done differently? 

joey46

A gang of 8 jakes does own the place.  I often see a jake gang beating up my Funky Chicken.  Posted a picture of three recently that appear to be standing around discussing whether or not to beat this Funky looking guy.  Jakes keep things lively.  If they're legal and you want an eater go for it.  Some will disagree. 

Up Hill

They are and I left it up to my son. We let them all walk off

Tnandy

Not sure about your preferences are but I have had 3 different old time, bonifide ole turkey hunters and killers, tell me the same thing. Pick out the lead jake and take him. All 3 guys told me the same thing. Said they will bust up for a few weeks. Not sure, never done it and too, you may not want to kill a jake. I had a group of 7 mess me up half a season one time in a prime spot with other long beards there. They finally moved on far enough that I could hunt in peace lol. Every time I got on a bird, they came in and run him off. Very frustrating lol

Up Hill

Sounds like good advice and makes sense. I didn't realize that they could control a whole area!  Life sure ain't easy for an old gobbler. Glad deer don't act like that,lol

Treerooster

I've always thought that when you have a poor hatch followed by a good hatch there are a bunch of jakes around that will suppress the not-to l-many toms. Toms will gobble less and be less vocal/visible to avoid the negatives of the jake gang.

My response, when I figure that out,  is to call more subtle and try to get as close as I can when I do locate a tom. Listening for drumming too.

jhoward11

Smile, because next year gonna be a free for all of 2 yr. olds.  Reserve the one you want now!

Up Hill

Yeah, a little payback,lol

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

g8rvet

Quote from: Tnandy on March 27, 2024, 11:32:11 AM
Not sure about your preferences are but I have had 3 different old time, bonifide ole turkey hunters and killers, tell me the same thing. Pick out the lead jake and take him. All 3 guys told me the same thing. Said they will bust up for a few weeks. Not sure, never done it and too, you may not want to kill a jake. I had a group of 7 mess me up half a season one time in a prime spot with other long beards there. They finally moved on far enough that I could hunt in peace lol. Every time I got on a bird, they came in and run him off. Very frustrating lol

I was told the same thing and I actually did it to a gang of 4 that I watched run birds off a small piece I hunted.  Killed the lead jake and then about two weeks later took one out of two nice longbeards that came in and that I had not seen all season. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

WV Flopper

Kill all 8 of the Jake's and the Toms would be workable. Just kidding!

Hopefully, this year you have more two year olds than Jake's running around. I had the same issue two years ago. Covered up in Jakes, worked out good last spring.

backforty

I always scare the crap out of them when they come in. Don't know if it does any good but makes me feel better.
Print by Madison, on Flickr

zelmo1

I have found that gobblers tighten up if there is a gang of jakes around. Last year I saw a ton of jakes and the story was the same, quieter gobblers. But all it took was a little more patience and dont hunt the multiple birds. The gobblers still want to breed so they will be doing the same things, just quieter. I am hoping that the big jake numbers last year turn into big longbeard numbers this year. We shall see. Z

g8rvet

Quote from: zelmo1 on March 28, 2024, 04:31:00 AM
I have found that gobblers tighten up if there is a gang of jakes around. Last year I saw a ton of jakes and the story was the same, quieter gobblers. But all it took was a little more patience and dont hunt the multiple birds. The gobblers still want to breed so they will be doing the same things, just quieter. I am hoping that the big jake numbers last year turn into big longbeard numbers this year. We shall see. Z

Pretty much describes my season last year on private ground.  Counted 8 jakes running with a smallish longbeard.  Put them all in front of my great nephew and he missed one. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Cowboy

Jakes are like a bunch of punk teenagers.  Get more than one and they want to beat up on the old guy. They will run a gobbler to death.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk