OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Highs & Lows

Started by Burtwill, March 22, 2024, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burtwill

Well we had a very successful and quick hunt this morning. Very muggy and cloudy so we knew they wouldnt gobble much and matched the calling accordingly.

These birds always roost in a swamp and cross over to some high ground. This part of the bottom has a little terrain so i always setup where they have to walk up the hill to see where the hen should be. He came in strutting and drumming. Had i not heard him drum while walking up he probably wouldve busted us.

The problem is..... this spot you could hear usually at least 4 birds in 3-4 years ago. This morning we only heard one bird and killed him. I almost felt bad but its opening day for private and i have no where else to go. Sad state of affairs.

this area is loaded wtih predators and a lot of timber harvesting happened in the last year. I fear they will be hard to come by this year.

chingson

I am fairly confident you won't be alone feeling this way. I have a family farm that you used to hear 3-4 birds a year on. Now I sometimes have a single bird from year to year. The surrounding area seems to be down as well.

mlee3553

I had the same experience a few years ago, a farm that I hunt regularly, that always holds several gobblers was logged off, it was basically a wasteland as far as turkeys are concerned that year.  A little silver lining though it has bounced back and now holds several gobblers again.
In wildness is preservation of the world so seek the wolf in thyself

zelmo1

This is a familiar story to many of us. Keep plugging and hopefully the spots will come back strong. Z

Paulmyr

Don't give up hope. That timber harvest may turn out to be the best thing that happened to that area.

In the large forests I hunt sometimes, I target fresh timber cuts and so do the gobblers.

In next couple years there should be some prime brood rearing habitat as well.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Gobbler-one

Quote from: Paulmyr on March 22, 2024, 05:03:44 PM
Don't give up hope. That timber harvest may turn out to be the best thing that happened to that area.

In the large forests I hunt sometimes, I target fresh timber cuts and so do the gobblers.

In next couple years there should be he some prime brood rearing habitat as well.

X2