turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 ga 2 3/4” loads- Federal vs Apex???

Started by Mike13, March 22, 2024, 08:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike13

Looking to see if anyone has any feedback or experience with the 20 ga 2 3/4" loads both of these companies offer. I can get them for the same price currently. These will be for my daughters to use (9 years and 7 years old) in an 870 youth model 20 ga.

Spring Creek Calls

I'm sure either would serve you well but I'd take the Apex.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

BandedSpur

It kind of depends on what choke tube you are using, how far you are prepared to let them shoot, and how much wiggle room you want. The Apex will likely shoot a tighter pattern than the Federals.

Mike13

Don't need a super tight pattern. Something nice and even at 30 yards would be adequate. MAYBE 35 yards. I have an older Primos Jellyhead choke I was going to try first. If that doesn't pattern well I'm considering a Carlsons .575 or Trulock .585

runngun

Apex no doubt!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Bigfootwolff

I will jump on the Apex bandwagon too.

Sir-diealot

Seems like everyplace I read about this everyone says Apex because apparently the Federals are not as consistent. I have no personal experience with either though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Mike13 on March 22, 2024, 08:05:23 AM
Looking to see if anyone has any feedback or experience with the 20 ga 2 3/4" loads both of these companies offer. I can get them for the same price currently. These will be for my daughters to use (9 years and 7 years old) in an 870 youth model 20 ga.
I've never been impressed by the Federals in any  gun. The Apex are leaps and bounds better. The Foxtrot have a leg up on the Apex. I usually shoot Apex because they're easier to get and more consistently available. But the Foxtrot Hot Rods are the best 2.75" 20ga load I've ever shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Mike13

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 26, 2024, 09:54:38 AM
Quote from: Mike13 on March 22, 2024, 08:05:23 AM
I've never been impressed by the Federals in any  gun. The Apex are leaps and bounds better. The Foxtrot have a leg up on the Apex. I usually shoot Apex because they're easier to get and more consistently available. But the Foxtrot Hot Rods are the best 2.75" 20ga load I've ever shot.

Do you mean specifically the 2 3/4" shells? Or just a brand comparison in general?

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Mike13 on March 29, 2024, 10:25:24 PM
Do you mean specifically the 2 3/4" shells? Or just a brand comparison in general?
Every FoxTrot load I've shot outperforms the comparative Apex load (Federal is not even in that conversation), but, yes, I'm talking specifically about the 2.75" 20ga shells in that that's what the question referenced. The FoxTrot Hot Rods are the best 2.75" 20ga load I've shot. Apex is great stuff, though, and I primarily shoot it because I never have trouble getting it. Foxtrot can be very, very hit or miss with availability.

Mike13

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 30, 2024, 08:02:59 AM
Quote from: Mike13 on March 29, 2024, 10:25:24 PM
Every FoxTrot load I've shot outperforms the comparative Apex load (Federal is not even in that conversation), but, yes, I'm talking specifically about the 2.75" 20ga shells in that that's what the question referenced. The FoxTrot Hot Rods are the best 2.75" 20ga load I've shot. Apex is great stuff, though, and I primarily shoot it because I never have trouble getting it. Foxtrot can be very, very hit or miss with availability.

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated! Ordered two boxes of Apex to give a try.

briton

For the price I would say Apex. Probably cheaper and definitely higher quality

twyatt

I just finished patterning my 870 20ga this past weekend with a Carlson's .575 and Sattie's 2 3/4" "reduced recoil" 9.5's.    My daughter is 10 and been shooting the Stevens 410 for the past 2 years, and I was hoping she could jump up into the 20ga with low-recoil shells.  After this weekend of patterning, there's no way I'm letting her shoot a 20ga anytime soon.   The recoil is still STOUT, and I hardly noticed any "reduction" of recoil at all.   I'm keeping her in the 410 for the foreseeable future.
  My advice, get a $200 Stevens 410, chop a little bit off the stock so it's comfortable for them, and get a box of Apex Ninja's, Salt Creek 10's,  Sattie's 10s, etc, and let them shoot that for a couple years until they are comfortable and bigger.   Even with a 410, or 20ga, kids are so small-framed that they often don't get the greatest shoulder placement due to the size of the gun, so the recoil hurts even more than it would you or I.