OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rogue 1 7/8 ounce loads

Started by adamky, March 20, 2024, 10:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamky

Anyone shot these out of there 20?  Thats a lot of pellets going through a 20 gauge barrel I would think. 

BandedSpur

Nope. Shoulder, retinas, and gun don't need that abuse.

bwhana

Yes.  The patterns were not as good as I got with Apex 1 5/8, mainly just scattered more on the fringes or beyond the 20 ring.

kwild835

Quote from: BandedSpur on March 21, 2024, 06:46:33 AM
Nope. Shoulder, retinas, and gun don't need that abuse.
This^^^
I have actually shot a 1 7/8oz load, no advantage over 1 5/8oz load for killing purposes.  Possibly if you had to use 7's in your state.

Lcmacd 58

Sounds like a lot of punch ... the main reason i went to a 20 was less recoil

yelpy

Might as well shoot a 12 gauge. The 20's arent built / designed to handle that heavy of a payload. If you value your 20 I wouldn't shoot them.

ShortMagFan

I've tried them and the Boss 2oz loads. Haven't been able to get the heavy rogue load to do better than the 1 5/8oz load. But that 2oz boss load is a beast. Been shooting it for a few seasons now and do a fair amount of patterning. No gun or choke issues

turkeymanjim

Way to much shot going down 20 gauge bore.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

paboxcall

I'm shooting 1 3/8th oz. of 8s. Plenty of holes in the paper.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

901CritterGitter

The 1 5/8 ounce rouges chronographed high 12s almost 1300 fps in my benelli m2  20. Like 1295 fps . That explained why they kick worse than the apex

BandedSpur

Quote from: 901CritterGitter on March 25, 2024, 06:53:52 PM
The 1 5/8 ounce rouges chronographed high 12s almost 1300 fps in my benelli m2  20. Like 1295 fps . That explained why they kick worse than the apex

No reason to run that much speed. That's why I load all my TSS to 1100 fps. Extra speed just disrupts patterns and is harder on the shoulder and the gun. Runs up pressure too.

backcast88

I just got done shooting these side by side with Apex 1-5/8 oz of 9's.  More recoil with the 1-7/8 oz Rogue obviously and the patterns weren't as good.  Plus the rogue wouldnt eject from my 301 and the Apex did.  So, I'll be sticking with the Apex this season.

mississippislip

shooting these out of my 1187 youth 20 great patterns with a .560 jebs, don't think i will shoot them again though just feels a little much for the gun lots of fte's and heads are distorted and bulged

Jstocks

Be careful with those gas guns (1187 specifically), especially heavy loads with unknown powders.