OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Metal detector to find TSS shot?

Started by mnhunter2, March 19, 2024, 06:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnhunter2

Would like to find a small metal detector to find TSS and lead shot in turkey meat before I break another tooth on a pellet, have been trying to remove all of them by following the shot trail in the meat and cutting it in small pieces but a few still make it to the table. Any ideas would be helpful.

WV Flopper

Food processing facility... Do you know any maintenance workers at such a place?

Or just buy a metal detector wand. Hand held like a big magic marker

runngun

Magnet for the TSS.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

blake_08

I have a pretty high end metal detector (Nokta brand) and the hand held pinpointer metal detectors and I have not had any luck with them picking up tss 9s in turkey breast. Not saying there's not one out there that will, but mine wont.

crow

A magnet will not always pick up all tss. Spilled some one time,magnet pickedup  the majority of it but not all of it.  All of it from the same batch and from an established dealer.     Weighed it on an accurate RCBSgrain scale, Weighed identical to the pellets the magnet did pick up.

aclawrence

Bullseye pointer from Garrett would probably be the ticket. I have t tried it myself but it's what metal detectors use after they dig the whole. They stick the bullseye in the whole and move it around until they contact the metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burney Mac

I'm in the same boat. My wife would love if I could fine one. We picked a little pin pointer type up online and it will detect a 5lb bag of 9's but not individual pellets. it would be a God send if we had one. Cracked teeth are a real thing and my pretty wife isn't interested in dealing with the aftermath of a fire fight any longer. 
"It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

Paulmyr

Cut your breast into thin strips cross grain. Roll them into a nugget and pin them with a tooth pic. Feel free to roll a banana pepper or mushroom or both inside or whatever tickles your fancy. Cutting into thin strips makes it much easier to find them little buggers.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

RutnNStrutn

Wow. You guys are making me paranoid now. I've been using TSS for several years now, but never chomped on one. I used to in the old days when shooting regular turkey loads with #4 and #5 shot. These days I shoot Apex Small Town Blend, which is a duplex load of 7.5's and 9's. I shoot it through Indian Creek chokes, so the pattern is pretty tight. I haven't noticed embedded pellets like with the old style of shot.
Do you guys think most TSS pellets either punch through, or break bones? Perhaps I have just gotten lucky? Is pellets in the meat that common of a problem?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

g8rvet

Okay.  Here is the deal.   Xray provided for all turkeys to determine if any pellets are in meat.  1/2 of one breast is the nominal charge.  By appointment.   :angel9:

Seriously, if any of my clients asked I would provide that service free of charge.  Bring the meat bagged and wham, bam.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Ihuntoldschool

I think mostly just harder to find.
Pellets smaller, smaller less noticeable wound tract.

Plus more hits with TSS versus lead so more chance pellets in breast.

I don't think it's that big of a deal or problem.

I'd forgo the metal detector and upgrade my dental plan if I was worried about it.

crow

Quote from: Paulmyr on March 24, 2024, 05:44:45 PM
Cut your breast into thin strips cross grain. Roll them into a nugget and pin them with a tooth pic. Feel free to roll a banana pepper or mushroom or both inside or whatever tickles your fancy. Cutting into thin strips makes it much easier to find them little buggers.

I cut mine in thin strips as above and then hold up to a strong light like "candling'' an egg, you will see a pellet if there.

I have found #9 tss in breast meat

deadbuck

Before I fry my chunks, I hit them with a meat mallett to flatten them out. If a pellet is in there it will jump out

fmf

Quote from: crow on March 24, 2024, 09:09:33 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on March 24, 2024, 05:44:45 PM

I cut mine in thin strips as above and then hold up to a strong light like "candling'' an egg, you will see a pellet if there.

I have found #9 tss in breast meat

this is the way

Muzzy61

Quote from: deadbuck on March 24, 2024, 10:42:14 PM
Before I fry my chunks, I hit them with a meat mallett to flatten them out. If a pellet is in there it will jump out

^^^
Same here.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr